Colt Forum banner

Dale Robertson / Great Western single action connection?

4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Jim Martin 
#1 ·
Recently saw photo in which Dale is loading his single action & I got a close up view of the grips which appeared to be the familiar black & white artificial stag, commonly seen on the Great Western single actions out of Los Angeles. Now i'm seeing his "Tales of Wells Fargo" (1957-62) on the Grit network. So far, it appears that I'm seeing the same 6 gun. When holstered, there's those grips. Reading that Audie Murphy & John Wayne were both spokespersons for Great Western, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a connection with Dale Robertson. Interesting that both Audie & Dale served in Europe in WWII, both were highly decorated & both became familiar faces in Hollywood.

#2 ·
Dale Robertson reportedly hated carrying a gun and only did so in his shows as he considered it was a tool of the trade. That doesn't necessarily mean he was anti-gun but I can't see him being a spokesperson for any gun company. Whatever he carried on film was probably whatever was handed him by the prop master.

Reactions: victorio1sw
#3 · (Edited)
Here he is from the Wells Fargo show and also a link to an auction selling the gun and holster he's wearing. It's a Colt. It looks like the same gun from other pics from the show I saw. I assumed the grips were fake stags, too. Does it look like the gun you're looking at? He also wore a fancier rig with white edge lace on the show. Both made by the same company most likely since they both have reversed billets for some reason. Maybe he requested that.

https://www.icollector.com/Dale-Robertson_i15875497

Looks like he liked guns enough to drive this! The inside of his Buick.

#5 ·
So far as I know John Wayne was never a "spokesperson" for Great Western. He was presented an engraved pair by Bill Wilson as a promotional endeavor, and it was this pair he used in The Shootistbut was never affiliated with Great Western.

But Great Western revolvers do appear in many westerns of the era. The grips on many of these were the fake stag from either Franzite or Pointer Pups, both on Great Westerns and on Colts.

Bob Wright

#6 ·
The only endorsements I have ever seen of John Wayne in a print ad was for Weatherby rifles and for Camel cigarettes and the American Cancer Society. Later in life he filmed an endorsement for the Great Western Bank (which might be where the confusion comes from) and for the cancer center that bears his name.

#7 ·
I’ve always liked Dale Robertson especially since he solved my daughter’s murder after Robert Conrad bopped her over the head and threw her off of a ten story balcony. I can’t remember the title of the series, but he traveled around in a fancy convertible and wherever he went there was always a murder to solve. I thought that the convertible was red and not white like the picture shown. If he disliked guns he sure was slick with that Colt. BTW, my daughter forgave Conrad and even became his lawyer in High Mountain Ranger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.