Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the Dallas Gun Show at Market Hall this morning and enjoyed looking at all the old guns for sale. All the kids were over looking at the plastic stuff but I went there looking for some classics on the used gun tables. On the 2nd row I saw this lonely looking Detective Special in the corner of the guy's case looking sad and rejected. The grips had big ugly oil stains on them and the gun was in need of some tender care. Dried up dust and crud covered the gun. I picked it up and checked the action. Timed and locked up perfectly as a Colt should. Despite the poor care the gun looked like it had hardly been fired. Barrel, cylinder chambers, and all the innards looked perfect and everything worked just like it should. After some brief negotiation I bought the gun at a real bargain price ($280 LESS than I would have had to pay for one of the new Colt Cobras). I took it home and spent about an hour blowing the crud out of the gun and took some Murphy's Oil Soap Wood Cleaner to the grips and got all the oil stains out of them. Used some diluted Birchwood Casey Walnut Gun Stock Stain followed by a few coats of Birchwood Casey Gunstock Wax and they came out looking pretty good. The gun is not a museum piece but it came out great and will serve as an excellent shooter and companion. So I broke my pledge when I said I wouldn't be buying any more guns...I have enough. I really feel bad about that.:cool::cool::cool:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Good pickup texagun!!! My Dad always said Sunday is "Deal Day" when we showed at the Dallas show. I plan to go today also to see what I may see.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to add, I saw 2 (two) Colt Detective Specials that were brand new in the box with all the paperwork and unfired since leaving the factory. One was priced at $1800 and I think the other one was priced at $2000. So if you guys have deep pockets, take a look at them. They would make good Safe Queens. Good hunting.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Forgot to add, I saw 2 (two) Colt Detective Specials that were brand new in the box with all the paperwork and unfired since leaving the factory. One was priced at $1800 and I think the other one was priced at $2000. So if you guys have deep pockets, take a look at them. They would make good Safe Queens. Good hunting.
I like yours better.
Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts