Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
No!!! Say it isn't so! I guess I'll have to try to pick up another Python soon, if I can find the right one. Mmmm... 4" bright stainless ...

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Since you have to be a registered member to access the attached document, I think I'll just remain in denial. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
So that's the reason the stock market took a big hit today.

Sad news indeed. I hope they can continue to make Colt's.

·
Registered
154 Posts
With Colt's negative marketing skills and their lack of interest in the commercial marketplace, it is a wonder the Python has lasted as long as it has. I am afraid that when the military contracts dry up, Colt will find out, as Winchester has, that a name and a 150 plus years of history is not enough to keep a business running. As a collector who loves Colts, I will miss them.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The older I get, the more I come the realization that the statement, "You can't go back", is the ultimate truism.

I'm glad we have been buying as many old Colts as we have the funds for. Looks like as I expected, there will be no new ones.

Damn!

Not for me because I love the old ones, but for you folks that wanted the new ones.

Bob

·
Registered
265 Posts
dfariswheel,

Thanks for posting the link.

I guess my dream of owning a Sc/Ti Detective Special or Cobra in .357 Magnum will stay just that.....a dream. I better check my Colt revolvers, put another coat of wax on them, and put them away. No,that won't happen, it's too much fun shooting them.

A1A,

If you want a copy, I think I can e-mail it to you.

John

·
Registered
323 Posts
Any study of the Colt history shows a repeating (no pun intended) pattern: The success and ultimate failure follows the cycle of government contracts, and a top-heavy reliance on those contracts.
The SAA was put to bed just in time for Bill Ruger to re-tap a huge market for it; The fine revolvers like the Python soldiered on for years, and then were gone; The only constant in the civilian market that seemed 'bullet-proof' was the 1911, and now every arms manufacturer in the world makes and sells scads of them.
I agree that, much like General Motors, Colt mis-read the civilian marketplace, and abandoned its core market. Unlike GM, at least the quality was top-drawer.
Glad I have what I have...Probably won't be able to afford much before long.
Sad.
Don

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just baught a couple of police positives.1 38 and 1 38 special.I paid 174 and 195 including shipping.I thought they were a little high but i'me facinated with the little ones.I guess after this news they will go even higher.Boy;for the days when you could find a box full at 45 or 50 bucks a peice.Who was it said;you can never return?
Ow well "MOVIN ON".I GUESS I SHOULD BE HAPPY I'ME STILL MOVIN!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
When you get right down to it. I wonder how many of the really skilled gunmakers are left at Colt that could handle working on the intricate revolvers.

I'll bet most have retired, or gone on to the"Great Gun Safe" in the sky!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Oh, bloody hell!

That will most likely mean I'll be paying a lot more for that Python I want, but can't buy yet!

Another nice dream shot to bits!

I already had a bad feeling about this week when I read about Winchester's downfall.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Say it aint so.... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Well then, I guess the prices of the older Colt wheelguns will be dropping like a stone.

I will make you all offers on yours now to save you the losses you all will obviously suffer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
154 Posts
The SAA is listed on the Colt website, www.coltsmfg.com , and SASS is taking orders for "SAA SASS Colt's" (9-12 month wait), so I would quess the SAA is still in production. For what it's worth, it was noted in a recent post that Colt has returned to the removable cylinder bushing. That would make a real colt more like a Real Colt.

·
Administrator
7,304 Posts
Very well written article . He covers the "hard topics" .

re: DA revolvers
With all other revolver makers offering such a wide variety at prices from $300-600 , it's no wonder that Colt quit making DA revolvers that had to sell for $1000 or more for a comparible model .

re : 1911 Forum "article"

I was somewhat amused by the slam given to Kimber for their "Flavor of the Week Plan" . I think I detected a bit of envy ? Kimber sells 1911's . Tens of thousands every year . Obviuosly , by the sales records , the shooting public likes a new "flavor" on occasion . Kimber listens , advertises and they sell what customers are asking for .

Are Kimber's for everyone ? Obviously not . But , if Colt wants to grow their market share , they're going to have to listen to the customer , advertise and build what the customer is asking for . imo

Not slamming Colt . Just an observation . I wish them all the luck !

·
Registered
312 Posts
Constant change is here to stay. I often don't like it though. Pythons and the gunsmiths that work on them just became a little more valuable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sadly, for those of us who deal with Colt on a somewhat regular basis, this doesn't come as a shock.

Just a few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to talk with several people at Colt - including the Custom Shop - about the future of the Python. They told me that there were no plans to produce any through 2006, and that the topic of revolvers hadn't even come up in discussions for 2007 and beyond.

Over the last year there had been consistent rumors that Colt was producing revolvers in small quantities in the Custom Shop, that they were going to reintroduce various revolvers at various times, and other such speculation. Some of us urged restraint as we secretly hoped the rumors were true; unfortunately, as this article shows, hope can no longer spring eternal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts