Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This note I just sent to Brent will explain:

I'm sure I'll be sending the above gun in. (WWI Repro) The hammer is falling with no trigger pulled or even in the trigger-guard.
The gun began having FTEs about 3 weeks ago, thought it might be my switch to grease from oil or limp-wriisting. But live rounds also began to get stuck in the barrel, one VERY stuck. Took the range workers quite awhile to extract it safely. After cleaning well, going back to oil and watching for limp-wristing it immediately had rounds half-chambering. A range worker who I asked watch spotted the hammer falling when the slide moved forward after cycling back. He then racked the slide all the way back and forth very quickly and for a long time and sure enough, the hammer would fall - several times - during slide movement. He had no finger anywhere near the trigger. I couldn't see and forgot to ask if the hammer fell all the way or to half-notch.

Whatever, it's not safe.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the second safety-problem with this gun. After a month of owning (I bought close to a year ago), slide would stay opened as if the gun was unloaded. It wasn't: there was still a live round chambered and ready to go. I discovered this while a young family member was shooting it.

Colt put a new extractor in it.

Not much luck with Colt 1911s in general. This is my second. My first, a used, limited edition "Colt Silver Star 45" shot well for a month, began to have many FTEs, and Colt diagnosed a terminally chamfered slide (the cuts where the barrel lugs fit during lock-up. The gun was not locking properly therefore.) That was $800 down the drain (though I will buy another nice polished stainless 80's slide from Colt at some point). Then I'll be out $1200 but have a gun, now: just a pretty door stop.

I bought a Sig 45 in a moment of anger at my Colt with the hammer falling at will. It's great. Think I'll stick with that for a Carry 45.

I'm scared around my Colt - and will continue to be I'm afraid, even after it's fixed. I'll expect some other safety-thing to happen. Makes me nervous.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a very similar problem with my 380 government model, it first made itself obvious when shooting when the gun began running on, firing multiple times, nearly jumping out of my hands, and after that i would be able to push the hammer forward by hand.I sent it off to colt and they returned it to me with a new hammer and sear. Its a very easy fix for colt or a smith so get it sorted out so you can enjoy shooting again.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a very similar problem with my 380 government model, it first made itself obvious when shooting when the gun began running on, firing multiple times, nearly jumping out of my hands, and after that i would be able to push the hammer forward by hand.I sent it off to colt and they returned it to me with a new hammer and sear. Its a very easy fix for colt or a smith so get it sorted out so you can enjoy shooting again.
Thanks, you've given me hope in the gun.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My friend had a Taurus 1911 that would do the same thing. It went through 4 owners before I lost track of it. Hopefully, number 5 sent it back to Taurus!

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
gvf, Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. I also have a WW1 repro (01918) that I got new from Colt. It never jammed and Ive never had a problem with it but Ive probably only shot 6 boxes of shells through it. I will be watching it close to see if any problems develope. I hope not.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
gvf, Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. I also have a WW1 repro (01918) that I got new from Colt. It never jammed and Ive never had a problem with it but Ive probably only shot 6 boxes of shells through it. I will be watching it close to see if any problems develope. I hope not.
It received very good reviews and user-notices. I think it's a fluke with mine - which hopefully will become a thing of the past. But no, I've seen no widespread report of problems. I think you're fine.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now THAT sounds scary - the gun continuing to shoot on its own.

·
Registered
622 Posts
GVF,

From what I've read, That problem is called "Follow Down", the I think the problem with your gun can be corrected by tweaking the left leg of the sear spring to apply a bit more force to the bottom of the sear.
I've seen this same problem with guns that hve been tweaked to enhance the firwe control systems.

The 2nd problem of the slide not locking back sounds like a Magazine follower issue.......check all your mags to insure the leg on the follower can reliabably lift the slide lever.

As for young family members......... I would not let anyone unfamiliar with a pistol shoot it without direct close supervision.

Tom

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GVF,

From what I've read, That problem is called "Follow Down", the I think the problem with your gun can be corrected by tweaking the left leg of the sear spring to apply a bit more force to the bottom of the sear.
I've seen this same problem with guns that hve been tweaked to enhance the firwe control systems.

The 2nd problem of the slide not locking back sounds like a Magazine follower issue.......check all your mags to insure the leg on the follower can reliabably lift the slide lever.

As for young family members......... I would not let anyone unfamiliar with a pistol shoot it without direct close supervision.

Tom

Yeah, as to family, I was watching carefully. That's when I spotted the problem. I told him to put the gun down. I checked it, checked last to make sure it was unloaded, took it home and called Colt - and sent it in when I got the ticket from them.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Hammer follow is always the very worst sort of bad news in any pistol. Drem's case of runaway gun is about as spooky as it gets. This is not a common problem in 1911s to my knowledge unless someone is not sufficiently skilled or careful in fooling with the trigger. My own Black Army has never given a moments trouble, and Colt will surely make yours right.

Tomray, not meaning to argue, but unless the spring is really out of spec, I'm doubtful that a little more spring pressure will solve the problem. The sear (assuming no one has futzed with it) is either out of spec as regards depth or angle, or the parts were not properly heat treated and have worn to an out of spec condition.

As regards the OP's issues with the locking lugs on the other 1911, I'd be amazed if Hartford won't do something for him (again, assuming that there wasn't some amateur tinkering going on), as the gun was simply defective. Let me say it this way; if it was an S&W, they absolutely would make it right.

So get on the phone to the Colt folks and see about getting some things replaced. They can stand behind a better-part-of-$1K-gun.
Moon

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hammer follow is always the very worst sort of bad news in any pistol. Drem's case of runaway gun is about as spooky as it gets. This is not a common problem in 1911s to my knowledge unless someone is not sufficiently skilled or careful in fooling with the trigger. My own Black Army has never given a moments trouble, and Colt will surely make yours right.

Tomray, not meaning to argue, but unless the spring is really out of spec, I'm doubtful that a little more spring pressure will solve the problem. The sear (assuming no one has futzed with it) is either out of spec as regards depth or angle, or the parts were not properly heat treated and have worn to an out of spec condition.

As regards the OP's issues with the locking lugs on the other 1911, I'd be amazed if Hartford won't do something for him (again, assuming that there wasn't some amateur tinkering going on), as the gun was simply defective. Let me say it this way; if it was an S&W, they absolutely would make it right.

So get on the phone to the Colt folks and see about getting some things replaced. They can stand behind a better-part-of-$1K-gun.
Moon

The gun is untouched (the WWI); I don't have enough knowledge to even attempt fooling around with anything. I shoot it, clean and lube it and that's it. So, whatever is wrong is the gun.

The problem with a replacement for the chamfered one is that its used, no warranty is in effect so Colt has no obligation to me for an '85 1911 that was not originally purchased by me. They have thrown in a new barrel, new mags etc for nothing as a favor, but Hartford has no obligations in this affair for a replacement. Too bad for me, but that's reality. Nor do I believe it's the prior owner's fault - even if he tried to file the locking groove. I don't think the gun failed at all when he shot it as it worked fine for me in the beginning; the man is dead in any case, his son - who knows 0 about guns - was selling his dad's guns off and this was one. So, it was chamfered, both slide and barrel, before I got it, but through the first part of my use, had not gotten to the critical stage of showing "symptoms". It then wore more and did start to screw up.

What I find absurd is an article I read advising people to file their locking slots - to make the gun run "smoother"! A slight error could wreck the gun for good. What stupid advice. And the article doesn't even warn about this. So, maybe the original owner was playing around with something like this - and filed too much. I also heard that Colt had some bad slides in the 80s - metal problems or something. Dunno.........

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
852 Posts
GVF, wasn't meaning to cast aspersions in your direction; just makin' sure that the guns we're talking about hadn't been trifled with.
I'd take my case to Colt and see if they will do anything for you. Again, the lads at S&W have fixed stuff for me that I wouldn't fix for me. I'd at least press the issue with Hartford and see what they have to say. It was their product that went out the door; let them stand behind it. You didn't buy it new, but you didn't futz with it either.
The worst they can say is no.
Moon

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GVF, wasn't meaning to cast aspersions in your direction; just makin' sure that the guns we're talking about hadn't been trifled with.
I'd take my case to Colt and see if they will do anything for you. Again, the lads at S&W have fixed stuff for me that I wouldn't fix for me. I'd at least press the issue with Hartford and see what they have to say. It was their product that went out the door; let them stand behind it. You didn't buy it new, but you didn't futz with it either.
The worst they can say is no.
Moon

Oh no, I didn't think you were casting aspersions at all. A lot people "mod-up" their 1911s. And it does bear on this. So, I just wanted folks to know I'm not one of them - out of stupidity.

When you advise contacting Hartford, which office do you mean?

·
Colt Forum Friend
265 Posts
I have already personally been involved with GVF's gun with the bad slide. There is nothing Colt can do in this perticular case. Sorry.
Brent

·
Registered
622 Posts

Moon
Moon,

No argument here, and No offense taken..........I was only suggesting possible areas of concern, if it were MY "Used" gun, and problem............

IMO, Too many 1911's on the used market have been "Played" with, by previous owners that thought they were gunsmiths...........Too many times, when one "Modification" doesn't seem to work for them, they move on to the "Next" part............collectively, these ill-planned Mods can work against each other, to make the gun unsafe......

Thanks for your reply,

Tom

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Moon,

No argument here, and No offense taken..........I was only suggesting possible areas of concern, if it were MY "Used" gun, and problem............

IMO, Too many 1911's on the used market have been "Played" with, by previous owners that thought they were gunsmiths...........Too many times, when one "Modification" doesn't seem to work for them, they move on to the "Next" part............collectively, these ill-planned Mods can work against each other, to make the gun unsafe......

Thanks for your reply,

Tom

Yes, I read something once that put it like this (approximation): people forget that they're working on a machine which works as a unity of its parts, throw one off, the machine goes off. "Mod-up" one part in a gun, you risk throwing the whole mechanism off. It was manufactured to have the parts as they are so the machine works.

·
Registered
852 Posts
A hearty 'amen' to Tomray's remarks. I've never been shy about working on my Smith revos, partially because I had some training from a factory armorer, and partially because, as a revolver, you can make the parts do what they do manually. No such deal on an auto.
To Colt's credit, recent production pistols have had clean triggers from the factory. Why a WWII Remington Rand (unmodded and little fired; my recollection of the ones I got to shoot in the service is much the same) could have a good trigger but a brand new Colt could not was always a mystery to me. At least Hartford seems to have addressed that issue, but I'll have to check the serial on my Black Army regarding the recall. A decent trigger from the factory should discourage the clueless from trying to mod it.
GVF, any idea what the round count was on your misbehaving pistol, the one with the locking lug issue? How many rounds did you put thru' it?
First, I'd be in touch with customer support at Hartford, see what they say. Even if they won't fix it free, maybe they are willing to make it right at a reasonable cost. Do you have reason to believe that the lugs were indeed modded? If so, then you likely are screwed, but any kind of decent used Colt 1911 has to worth well north of $500...it's worth your while to spend something to have the gun back and functioning.
Moon
ETA-getting old is grand; dug out the paperwork for my WWI, and it had the recall work done. It's a condition that a buddy refers to as 'Charley Romeo Sierra', as in 'Can't remember.....'!
M

·
Registered
852 Posts
Let me throw in one more thing on the hammer follow issue. It's an article of faith with 1911s, but I didn't see it mentioned here.
It is a bad policy to let the slide slam shut on an empty gun; it's hard on the sear engagement. This is likely more true with 'tuned' triggers than OEM, but it is still a bad idea.
Stripping a round from the mag slows the slide and cushions its motion.
While I'm being a shrew and stating the obvious, the other thing you never do with a 1911 is toss a round directly in the chamber and let the slide snap home on it.
Moon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts