Colt Forum banner

Dangerous Game With A 38-40

3K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Stix 
#1 ·
So many opportunities wasted out there for using these old guns for more than collecting. I took the Colt Bisley 38-40 and a Colt Burgess 44-40 gopher hunting yesterday....

See less See more
#15 ·
So many opportunities wasted out there for using these old guns for more than collecting. I took the Colt Bisley 38-40 and a Colt Burgess 44-40 gopher hunting yesterday....

That is a fine-looking long barreled Bisley! Not many of those 7-1/2" were made over the 17 or 18 years of Bisleys.
View attachment 701743

#17 ·
You do know your single actions. There weren't many 7 1/2 inch colts in either configuration and i like those long barrels. I had it and the Burgess out again today for another run at gophers... View attachment 701885
I am like you with interest in the 7-1/2" barrels. Most of the early Colt SAA's that I saw had the barrels cut off. After moving to Dallas, I got my first 45 x 7-1/2" at A. D. Hodges gun shop, an 1883 Colt with 1-piece walnuts.

So there is your Colt Burgess. A round barrel rifle with nice wood. The Burgess seems to have a very smooth action on levering it. But I have never shot one.

Are you out near Lubbock, with all of those gophers?

#24 ·
I can say I never ever heard of a 38-40 until I bought my first Colt SAA in that caliber that was made in 1905. I learned it had a nice recoil and isn't a .38 afterall. I fell in love with it and though the barrel is a sewer pipe it still rings steel plate at 25yrds with some impact! I even take the old SAA out on open carry duty in gun belt from time to time. I think I read that the 38-40 has regained some popularity among the Cowboy Action Shooting crowd, I don't know for sure but it certainly surprised me. Great to see your tools at work!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.