Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I just wanted to share a picture of my latest aquisition. It is a Police Positive Special first issue in .38 special. I just bought it today from a dealer friend of mine. I really didn't "need" another .38 special revolver, but the cute size of the PP, coupled with the 6" barrel, and it was love at first sight. I know it is a first issue PP because the last patent date on the barrel is July 4, 1905. The revolver is in at least 99%+ shape, as there is barely a turn line on the cylinder, and not any other marks anywhere else on the gun. However, it did not come with box or papers. It has the dished out area on the top strap in front of the forcing cone, as is common to all early pre-war Colt revolvers I've seen. The grips are hard rubber (bakilite), and there are no cracks or dings on them. Serial number is 270xxx. I received the pictured box of ammo with the gun. I think it might be the original ammo bought with the gun when it was new. Based on its condition, it looks as if this revolver might have only been fired 10 times, as 10 rounds are missing from that box, and 40 remain. I have three questions for you guys:

1) Can anyone give me an approximate born-on date for her?
2) How did I do for $225 out the door?
3) Does anyone know how common the 6" barrel is in this model?

Thanks for any and all info!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Your PP Special was made in early 1923. Yes,you did GREAT for that price,as the condition is superb!

The 6" barrel was less common than the 4",but probably more common than the 5". I once owned a rare 3" P.P. Special,that "lettered",but let it go in a good trade.

In a couple of years,after your gun was made,Colt would switch to walnut medalion stocks,a slightly thicker grip frame,and a matted,stippled top strap/rear sight area.

I can't really date ammo,but it looks 1950's vintage to me.

If you plan to shoot the gun,I would get some cheap replacements for the original stocks,that I assume are numbered to the gun). They get fragile with age,and have a tendency to crack/chip,especially bt the stock location pin at base of grips. They also can crack from "overtightening". I know I sound like a"worry wart",but had one "learning experience",with Colt "hard rubber" stocks.
You also might want to invest in a grip adapter,if you shoot it,as these D frames are very narrow between the front strap and trigger guard,and can punish the hand.

Obviously,plus P ammo,is "NOT recommended"!

Great find and a terrific price!(I am not a D frame collector,so can't really give you an "accurate value",but it's a "good deal"). Thanks for sharing.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the great info so far! Bud, Thanks for bringing up the +P ammo issue. I forgot to mention that I planned to use only standard velocity ammo in my first post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts