Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out when my tw pythonms were born? 1 is a 8" Python Target in 38spl ser# LA80XX The other is a 4" Blue ser# T66XXX any help would be great! Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
LA80XX was 1980
T66XXX would possibly be 1986, but all published data of serial numbers stopped in 1985 with beginning serial number T34453 and no note of were that year ended, so 1986 is only a guess.
HTH

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much! I appreciate it
Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dick , Can you tell me about the Python in 38spl only the barrel says Python Target 38 spl. its 8" nickle. any info would be great thanks. I spent a pretty penny for this beauty but to me it was worth the 1000 I paid.any Info on the Python Target would help. Thanks again Rob

[This message has been edited by robinwhisman (edited 07-11-2005).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Rob, that certainly is a coveted beauty that you should be very proud of and I don't think you paid one penny too much. A target in that condition would definately draw a premium.
Other than that I know very little about Pythons and confine my knowledge to Diamondbacks.

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I don't own a Python Target 38 Spec and only know what I have read about this particular gun. It was a limited production run intended to attract the silhouette shooter crowd. It was offered in 38 Spec only and only with 8" barrels. Like yours, either nickel or blue.

The success of this particular model is questionable in that it was not a big seller. The barrel length and caliber combination contributed to the lack of sales. The folks most often looking for a longer barrel/sight radius (the deer hunters) shied away from this model. The chambering of 38 Spec kept the hand gun hunters away since the 357 chambering is much better on deer then the 38 Spec.

So what you have is a high quality Python gun produced in low quantities. It may not be quite as desirable as a Python 357, but it is certainly less common. Considering that most people feed their Pythons a diet of 38 Spec for target and range shooting, the fact that it is 38 Spec (only) does not seem to be that big an issue in my opinion.

All in all, you have a great gun that is just a little bit different than the rest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts