Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently bought a third issue Colt Detective Special with a three inch harrel in mint condition. The serial number is P6152. I called Colt whose representative said she was unable to find the year it was made and transfered me to the "achive" section where no one was in. Can anyone give me the year of manufacture for this pistol. It is absolutely beautiful and was bought for three hundred dollars fro a well know dealer. I'd like to kick myself for selling a 1960 Det. Spl. I traded earlier this year thinking it would be easy to replace but have found the prices are about a hundred more than what I paid for that one.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Say bluesteel, are you sure the S/N isn't really P06152?

If so it is likely 1981 and that might account for why Colt couldn't find the number.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WS23 there is a number or letter after the serial number which is very faint and about half the height of the previous numbers and letters. It is very difficult to discern and looks like a o or an eight with the bottom half much fainter. Underneath the 15 of the "serial" number is a U. Does this help make any sense of it?. Thanks Larry AKA Bluesteelnwood.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Larry, the U under the S/N is an inspectors mark so no need to worry about that one coming into play.

As you probably know the published S/N DOM (Date of Manufacture) data is pretty darn sketchy after 1978 and for the most part non existent after 1985. So Colt is your best bet. However you ran into a dead end with them. Probably because of a lightly stamped trailing digit.

I will now assume that your S/N is P6152X.

I have a number of 3rd issue Detective Specials in my collection. (I love D-frames, especially snubbies!) Enough to validate your S/N range. My previous answer was based on S/N's in my collection, assuming you may have just eliminated the leading zero. We now know this was not the case.

Based on my S/N's and their confirmed DOM, your DS is probably 1983.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your help. I think you are right about 1983. In my mental state where reason often is left behind, I recently got back in trade my Winchester Big Bore in 356 Win. which was a second year model, also made in 1983, the same day when I went to pick up the Colt from my dealer and the Winchester was still sitting there on the shelf looking at me like I had abandoned my buddy and wanted to come home. So I traded back my average S&W Model 36, which I had orginally traded the Winchester for. Sometimes I feel like my life is begging to resemble that cartoon the Strange Side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts