Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really! A sunny but chilly day here in Ohio so I decided to go through some of the things I have collected (accumulated) over the years. Amongst the debris I found this small handout, I presume given out to civilians and captured soldiers at the end of the war in Europe just before they were doused with the DDT powder.
I was stationed in Germany in the mid-70's and was in Bertschesgarden(spelling?) walking through a part of town when I came to a deserted house with what appeared to be throw-away boxes of stuff in the yard. I picked through it and walked away with about a dozen wartime letters and envelopes. This document was tucked inside one of the letters. Anyway, I got a kick out of it and I thought you might too.
Kim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,523 Posts
Lifebouy soap used to have a chemical (hexachlorophene) in it that was similar to DDT. Like DDT, these highly chlorinated chemicals had good effect and bad effects on humans.
In the USA we found DDT caused problems for Eagles' eggs. In Third World countries many people die from diseases that are spread by mosquitos which could be controlled if DDT were available for use against them. From the paper you posted, I surmise DDT was pretty deadly to lice, also.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I had some training at Camp Blanding, Florida. Was nothing but ticks, chiggers, and snattlerakes. The ticks and chiggers were literally eating us up until they finally got us some DDT powders. We were lucky with the snattlerakes. Only had one who was bitten.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
When I was a kid, my dad would dust under our house with DDT! He had a spayer to cover all the area, but he did wear a gas mask. Dad was in the National Guard and got the WWII gas mask from the Supply Room so he would not breath the stuff; I guess he must have know about DDT????

The good part is we never had any crawlinig vermin in the house, LOL!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts