Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer has 3 used Colt\'s, which one to buy ???

Hi Guys, Went to a local gunstore that I haven't been in for awhile and three Colt's caught my eye. First one was a Colt Officer's Model Target 2nd Issue in .38 Special caliber, good condition, 2 sets of non-original grips, priced at $300. Second was the Colt Officer's Model Match with original grips in .22 caliber, good condition, same price as the first. And third was an absolutely minty Colt Woodsman from 1974, with the original box and paperwork, priced at $500. I probably would have jumped at the Officer's Target, but I've been shooting a lot of .22's lately and think I might really enjoy the Match model. I don't think I'd shoot the Woodsman much if I got it, it's just to sweet. Anyway, what do you guys think ? And no, I can't buy them all even though I just yesterday took a $100,000 buy out from the company I worked for !!!

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Re: Dealer has 3 used Colt\'s, which one to buy ???

Depends on what you 'need.'

You should leave the OMM .22, send me the dealer's name, and buy one of the others. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, I would probably get the OMM. You could pass along the dealer information, though, after you make your deal for whatever you choose...

·
Registered
301 Posts

I would buy the OMM. The Woodsman would interest me if it were a match target instead.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Assuming the Woodsman is either the slightly more valuable Sport (4 1/2 in.) or Target (6 in.), a "minty" 1974 specimen with the box and papers is a terrific buy at $500. Of course, either Officer's Model in the condition you describe is a good buy at $300 also. I have a 1938 Officer's Model .22 in 98% condition that I recently got for less than $400 which I consider a steal-as, considering the escalation of Colt prices, all the Officer's models are. Tough decision! -Asa

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hi Guys, I went back this afternoon to check out the Colts a little further. The .38 is serial number 648794, if that will help date it ? The barrel is stamped Officer's Model Target. I forgot to get the serial number for the .22, and besides I'm a little confuseed. I thought the .22 would be stamped Officer's Model Match but it's not, it's stamped Officer's Model Special. What the heck is this ? I can't find it in my book. Any help would be appreciated. And if I don't buy any of them then I'll be happy to hook any of you up with the information to purchase. Thanks, Shoodaddy
P.S. Here's a picture of the .22

·
Registered
60 Posts

I personally, would go for the Officer's Model Match in .22, if it's in a condition acceptable to you. Here's why I'd do it:

You could always get your money out of it if you ever decided to sell it.

Revolvers in .22 cal are usually a popular item.

If you're not concerned about buggering it up, you can always shoot it; and it should be pretty accurate.

Where else can you get that much fun for $300.00? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Thanks guys, I'm still undecided on what I want to do. Maybe I should offer him $1000 for all three, Shoo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts