Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer has a \'52 Colt Officer\'s Model Special FS

Hi Guys, here's some photos of a Colt Officer's Model Special .22 I took today that's for sale down at a local tiny gun store. I'm not going to buy it but would be happy to provide anyone interested with the needed information. It's a 6" barrel, wood Colt grips with full checkering. Mechanically fine, has some finish wear at ends of both sides of the barrel, I think asking price was $325 therabouts. Serial number is 618XX I'm told. Let me know if there's any interest, shoodaddy

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Dealer has a \'52 Colt Officer\'s Model Special FS

Gun is located in Upstate New York near Rochester. Shoodaddy

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

E-mail sent to you, ohiobuckeye, let me know if you got it.
Shoodaddy

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

Spoke with Bob today. His price on the gun is $375 and a bit much since it turned out to have some rust and pitting in a few places. If not for the pitting, we could probably have made a deal, but it's a tad rougher than I would like and I decided to pass. I appreciate the photographs and the contact information. Thanks, Randy.

·
Registered
110 Posts

I left three phone messages for them , never heard back. In the meantime, I went ahead with a 4" Official Police .22 from 1951, think I will be happy with that, at least for a while. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Sorry you guys didn't end up with this Colt. I thought the price was a little lower, I was obviously mistaken unless he raised the price. I don't remember seeing any rust or pitting, but I really didn't look it over very well since I was in the process of working a deal for an S&W Model 19. I may go there later today or tomorrow, if he still has it I'll check it out a little closer and try and find out why Bob didn't return some phone calls. I don't have any affiliation with this store so I can't answer for them. I'll see what I can find out and see if he picked up any additional Colts. Take care all, shoodaddy

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hi Ed333 and others, I checked this Colt out again today and looked it over pretty good. The only wear I could find is on the barrel. I really didn't see any pitting, just some small splotches on the barrel and the previously mentioned bluing wear. The receiver looked to be in great shape finish-wise. I'm pretty sure this gun could be bought for $350. I have to believe at this price it would make a fine shooter, just my opinion. Let me know if anyone wants it and I'll give you the contacty information, Shoodaddy

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

Bob had the gun in front of him while we spoke on the phone, and he described several rusty spots on both sides of the barrel and determined there was pitting that went below the metal surface. Much to his credit, he volunteeered the rust information when asked to describe the wear spots and finish flaws, and I appreciate his honesty. I don't mind some degree of honest wear on a shooter grade gun, but have a strong aversion to rust. I have several OMS safe queens, but this one looked like a good prospect for a shooter. The combination of wear and rust offset the price vs condition equation a bit too much for me and even more so with a hefty UPS fee added to the total.
The barrel rust is visible in the original photographs, but not detailed enough to judge the severity from the photographs. When you looked at the gun today, was it possible the rust had been removed?

·
Registered
778 Posts

Don't want to hurt anyone's feeelings, but that in my opinion is a $250.00 OTD gun.

Offer him that Shoodaddy, thats what it's worth if you need a shooter.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Hi Guys, I don't think Bob tried to remove any rust. I really didn't see any pitting, I guess it's just splotches in the finish on the barrel that would eventually turn to pits or patina. I believe Bob is undergrading the gun for his protection so it doesn't come back. Robba, I'd love to buy it for $250 if I could, but there's no way he'd sell it for that. I'd probably sell the grips if I bought this as a shooter to get some of my money back, aren't these grips rather valuable ? Who knows, maybe he will eventually take less for it but I won't be buying it as I'm out of cash for guns at this time. Oh well, perhaps someone here will get it at a fair price. Take care all, shoodaddy

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Hi again Guys, I started a new post about this gun with better pictures if you want to check it out, shoodaddy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts