Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I saw a photo of the "new" shrouded Colt Dick Special way back in the mid 70's I have admired this pistol. Six shots, +P rated, in the size of a J-frame gun! All these years later I finally decided to look for one to buy and found this on an internet auction site. It was still new in the box, unfired, cosmoline and all, paperwork, circa 1992 production, blue plastic box with printed Colt paperboard box sleeve... all like new, $375. I couldn't resist. I received it last week. My first impression of it was that it's amazingly SMALL... I had always envisioned it as being a bigger gun. Pretty amazing to have six shots in a gun this small. And the weight of the bull barrel really aides in recoil control.

One very interesting thing I've found is that the stacking trigger seems to actually reduce muzzle movement the moment the hammer lets go. I notice that with my 60 and 642 I have to work really hard to keep the muzzle from moving at the moment the hammer falls, but with the DS, the muzzle seems to stay motionless at that moment... really interesting how this works. I can only attribute it to either the stacking action or the heavier barrel, or both. I'm much more accurate with this gun than with my J's. Weight is 23 oz. and my 1980's vintage M60 weighs about 22 oz with Pachmayrs.

Only problem is, it looks so nice I hesitate to carry it! SO I set out to find another one in nearly as nice condition to use as a carry gun and shooter... then I can leave this one in cherry condition. I just found the second one (paid $400) and it will arrive next week.

Anyway... she looks like this:

·
Registered
448 Posts
DHart, it sounds like you do what I do. I will usually buy something I really like in NIB condition. Then I try to find one that is a shooter grade. Yours is a great looking DS. The one I have doesn't look as good since it is an older one without the ejector shroud.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Gorgeous piece.

What's the deal with everyone buying Colt snubbies all of a sudden?!

My God those pics are beautiful!! Do you do ad photography for a living?!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, she is a beauty... now I can't wait to get her "double" so I can get to doing a lot of shooting! I really have been admiring this gun since the mid seventies...that's, what, about 30 years! Yikes. It's about time I got mine. Glad you guys appreciate the pics. (Yes, I'm a professional photographer.)

Are all the parts for these currently available should one need them? Like mainsprings, hands, etc.? Hate to sound like a glutton (which I suppose I am) but I'm considering buyiing yet another as a parts source... is that a good idea or not necessary?

[This message has been edited by DHart (edited 02-28-2005).]

·
Registered
909 Posts
She's a beauty, last of a long line of Detective Specials. Yours looks like it got it's full time allotment at the polishing wheel, too.

P.S. Glad you unloaded her for the 2nd. pic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts