Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I had an aunt and uncle (my grandmother's brother and his wife) that were at Pearl Harbour during the attack. He was a civilian contractor doing work for the Army at the time. He said that people would stand out in the middle of the street watching the Japanese aircraft bombing and strafing with some being killed as they watched! As soon as possible after the attack, he arranged to come back to the good ole continental north america! No, I don't think that is something that will ever be forgotten! It is too deeply ingrained into the American history.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I remember the morning of Dec. 8th sitting in front of a solid walnut radio cabinet that had sliding doors w/my gran'ma & gran'pa & listening to Pres. Roosevelt declare war on Japan,I didn't know where Pearl Harbor was & my gran'pa told me it was in Hawaii.I still have that old radio cabinet in my dining room.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
When I was a volunteer at a military hospital back in the 90's we had a Pearl Harbor Vet. named "Roy" working also as a volunteer in the dental clinic. Roy was a helluva character- he was quite the ladies man, he new all the ropes of "Space A" travel and went all over the world- and he would help the cute nurses learn the ropes of hitch hiking on military planes. lol he got a lot of attention! Roy was a fleet sailor before WWII, and the stories he would tell about pulling into ports such as Shanghai were entertaining and funny as hell.

The little he would tell about Pearl Harbor was horrific.

I hope we remember what happened always, and remember and respect those who fought and gave their lives at Pearl Harbor.

But sad, most of the American people seem to have a short attention span.

Roy vanished some years back and I can't remember his last name so I can't find out what happened to him.

But I will remember him.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
I just watched Midway last weekend, great Movie!!! Many movies disappoint me so greatly nowadays I rarely go. I took a chance and was extremely pleased. Might watch it again after it comes out of the theaters. Highly Recommended to everyone here!
I never got a chance to ask my Grandfather about the war, he died when I was 9 yo in front of me of a massive heart attack. He was my rock, had no one else to turn to then. Anyway my grandma told me he was in the Army (good boxer too, met Joe Louis while in service), and he was supposed to have been in Pearl Harbor for something and just left 2-3 weeks before the bombing. That’s about all I know of my beloved Grandpa’s service other than he was a WW2 vet. Best I can remember is he wouldn’t buy anything or own anything Japanese. I mean if they were giving it away, he wouldn’t take it.

·
Premium Member
19,231 Posts
It would be interesting to know what percentage of high school seniors know anything about Pearl harbor.

I would modify the question to ask what percentage of HS seniors know the details about Pearl Harbor. The severe losses in that sneak attack was mind boggling!

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
We should all remember what happened and be sure we do not let something similar happen again.
Sadly it did happen again, it just wasn’t directed at only a military target. It just seems to be the way of the human world we live in. Historians can site numerous instances throughout history, the problem is that years/decades/centuries pass and we become complacent or ignorant. With all the evil that humans have done to each other it’s a wonder we’re still around in the atomic age.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As a 26 year old I am ashamed to say that not one of my so-called "Millennial Friends" have ever heard of Pearl Harbor or what happened there in 1941. "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it!"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.