Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local gun shop just got in two SAA. One is a 1902 44-40 Frontier Six. 5 1/2" barrel has modest pitting on the outside, but rest of gun has a nice patina, one rubber grip looks original, the other shows much less wear and could be a replacement. $2,195
The other one is a 1920, 38-40, 4 3/4" barrel, no pitting, shades of case colors, rubber grips look original. $2,495
Both are tight and have the correct clicks are they are cocked.
I think the price difference is due to the condition but that's why I'm coming here to ask which is the better deal or are they both price a little high?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I'm partial to the shorter 4.75" barrel and favor better condition as well; I'd go with the second one were it me choosing even though I like the 44-40 caliber slightly better.

·
Premium Member
7,959 Posts
+2 for me on the 38-40. If the calibers were reversed the decision would be easier for you I'm sure, but I would still go with the better condition.. always easier to sell and I'm not a 1st gen expert, but I think the 1920 yr model will put that one over the top. the shorter barrel is a plus in my book too.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Just for 'show & tell', not part of this thread, but a family gun, to illustrate a .38-40 early 1900s, s/n 265ks, in pretty nice condition.

dition.
I'm going with the .38-40 in nicer condition too.

While I know it's a somewhat less popular chambering, I like the .38-40 cartridge and have had a lot of fun with it.

Here's another that's fairly close kin to rhmc24's Colt though not as nice. Serial number is 266XXX.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts