Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, Decided to go play with my Defender. I haven't shot it for quite some time.I made a range of reloads from table minimum to table maximum and I can't get it to function reliably.I use Sellier & Bellot brass, Frontier RNFMJ 230 grain, VithaVuori N340 powder, CCI primer. I 'think' a Defender works better on hotter loads... Does anyone have a recipe that works for him in a Defender? Preferably with VithaVuori powder ( is that even available / popularin the States?Thanks, J.W.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
What kind of non-reliability is it having with that range of power Hand-Loadings?

What were you shooting previously, far as Loadings or Ammunition Brand or kind? ( when it had functioned reliably ).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It was functioning perfectly with factory ball 230 grain from S&B. It never functioned well with my hand loads. But, yesterday evening I tried a load of 6.5 grain VV N340 ( which is 0.1 grain above table max load) and the silly little bugger functioned perfectly!The down side however... Pure violence! The web of my hand was bright red. That wasn't comfortable plinking... at all... But okay, now I know it functions fine on hot loads.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Maybe who-ever had it before you, installed an extra-stout recoil Spring?

Either the Loadings have to match the Spring, or, the Spring has to match the Loadings, so...

I do not know the 'Defender' - does it have a Recoil 'Buffer' or anything?

In theory, the Pistol should function perfectly with standard Loading Hardball ( I would imagine anyway! ).

So, if it is not finding that standard Loading Hardball to be stout enough for a successful and complete 'Cycle', maybe, a slightly lighter Spring ( or just a new Spring, which is Standard for this Pistol ) would correct the issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.