Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First post.

Yesterday I field stripped my new, unfired Defender. The slide has always been very difficult to rack, and the slide stop was difficult to remove. I thought, 'tight is a good place to start," and wasn't overly concerned. During reassembly I noticed the recoil spring guide rod didn't seem to fit (stop) in a fixed spot, in fact, it wants to ride up over the barrel link before stopping. This forces the link into a fixed position, rather than operating freely, making it impossible to line up with the slide stop during reassembly. I've attached an image that shows the rod lifting up and the cap being pushed reaward.

Defender Recoil Spring Cap ISSUE.jpg

Is anyone familiar with this issue?

The cap seems to be the weak link here, or maybe the springs are too heavy. I can't see anything I might have done incorrectly, but I'm open to criticism.

Thanks...Mike J.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm familiar with this issue and it's because of the cheapo dual spring setup. I had the same problem with my Springfield Armory Range Officer Compact so I called EGW & they put together a solid rod kit for me. My Defender is at the 'smiths right now but when it gets home I'll change it to a solid guide rod as well. The owner of EGW carries a Defender but the hold up with a new kit is finding the right spring but call them & see what they can do. They've been cutting down longer springs but may have found a source by now. My kit was under $60.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you have the carry case, and it hasn't been lost out there's a little orange plastic thingy that serves as an empty chamber indicator. The other end has a couple little pincher looking things that do double duty when you use em between the end of rod and face of muzzle end of slide. When placed there holding the rod out just that little bit you can install slide and start the slide stop pin with no problem. When disassembling, if you place the orange thingy on the rod it's a LOT easier to get apart as well.

Bob

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'll have to agree with PDX's opinion of the POS Colt spring/rod assembly. If you'll replace it with one sold by Kimber for their little 3" gun you'll make it even more reliable and increase it's shootability. Even better is the assembly used by STI, but really hard to get your hands on.

Naturally, Colt, Kimber, and STI will tell you not to mix their parts in another companies gun,,,,

Bob

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I've got a New Agent with the same setup and used to use the empty chamber thingy to reassemble just like Arkie said. Now I have no trouble getting it done without it. I assemble the slide parts and holding them in place with my thumb I install the slide to the frame right side up. Looking through the slide stop hole I can see when the link is just right for starting the slide stop. This is when the slide is only back maybe 1/2 inch. After the slide stop is started I move the slide back to the mark and push it home. Very easy actually. Probably cause I've done it about a thousand times. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it quick. On the subject of this setup being a problem I can only say that I've had this pistol for four years and have had absolutely no issues. It eats all ammo I've tried and has a great trigger. YMMV

Tom

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Arkie wrote: If you have the carry case, and it hasn't been lost out there's a little orange plastic thingy that serves as an empty chamber indicator...

I've got the empty chamber indicator and I believe a mental picture of what you're describing. I'll let you know if it works for me.

PDX1953 wrote: I called EGW & they put together a solid rod kit for me.

I own a CDP II Pro, so I was wondering if this was an option. At some point I'll probably go this route, in the meantime I'll attempt the empty chamber indicator method.

Thank you all; I'll let you know what worked for me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I only only have a few hundred rounds through my new Defender and it's ate up several brands of ammo with no issues. Reassembly was a little more tedious the first couple times but like Mosby said, I finally got the hang of it. Manual says to replace slide stop "partially" with slide halfway to notch then slide rest of way back and insert slide stop all the way. I think it helps if you tilt the barrel end down when replacing the slide and stop. Works for me anyway...IMHO.

I've got a New Agent with the same setup and used to use the empty chamber thingy to reassemble just like Arkie said. Now I have no trouble getting it done without it. I assemble the slide parts and holding them in place with my thumb I install the slide to the frame right side up. Looking through the slide stop hole I can see when the link is just right for starting the slide stop. This is when the slide is only back maybe 1/2 inch. After the slide stop is started I move the slide back to the mark and push it home. Very easy actually. Probably cause I've done it about a thousand times. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it quick. On the subject of this setup being a problem I can only say that I've had this pistol for four years and have had absolutely no issues. It eats all ammo I've tried and has a great trigger. YMMV

Tom

·
Registered
127 Posts
It's just about learning the necessary technique - nothing wrong with the gun, it's just new to you and you will figure it out after a few times - then you'll wonder why you ever had a problem. CC

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No work tomorrow, so my attitude this evening was right for having another go at reassembly. I reread all the posts and the new ones, and enjoyed the encouraging words of CC, that is, - nothing wrong with the gun, it's just new to you and you will figure it out after a few times - and so it was. Two minutes and it was back together. Now all I want to do is shoot it.

Thank you all for your support!

Mike J.

ps. 1st 14 rounds into the old paint bucket...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Bob wrote: Colt recalled defender serial #'s dr33036 to dr35948 for this problem

Thanks, Bob...my serial is in the 66*** range. That said, my issue was one of technique, as revealed in this thread.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I finally got my Defender back from the gunsmith (4 months) and contacted EGW about a solid guide rod kit. When I bought one for my Springfield Range Officer Compact a few months ago the Tech I spoke to said the owner carries a Defender & had made one for himself. I contacted them last week & was informed they're having a problem getting the proper spring but they'll contact me as soon as they get it sorted out. I hate that lousy two-piece Colt unit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts