Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not real good on 1911's ------How is the Defender as to reliability -feeding ,etc........... Been trying to decide between -Para LDA /Kimber RCPII and the Defender -------I love my Colt revolvers -but need your expert help here ----As Always ---thanks in advance for any help!!!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've had one for years and after several hundred rounds of ammo I've never had a FTF or FTE out of it with all kinds of fodder. It is small but not too small, I have fairly large hands and can get all fingers around the grip. It is light and does bark a little but it is not painful or uncontrollable. It is also one of the better looking compact 1911's. Plus, it's a Colt!!!!

In short, I would highly recommend getting one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My Defender has had afew thousand rounds through it since I bought it new this past summer,no jams or FTF or FTE.

Only problem I had was using snap caps( must be defective caps) will try another brand..

I like this gun alot(my first 45acp)
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
4 Posts
With ball its perfect, 185 SWC match its terrible. With various hollowpoints its not reliable enough to count on so I use ball . It is however extremely accurate, more accurate than a mini shoul be.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well,I 'll let you know my experience -I just picked a new one up -Hopefully will see the range this week

OK
Ran about 250-300 rounds---_ammo used --Taurus (huge hollow point ) /cor-bon HP
Fiochi ball/ Eagle ball/ Black hills-------
...used 2 factory supplied mags and 4 Colt aftermarket (Starr) ...100% PERFECT --no hiccups at all and amazingly accurate ------I think I am in love!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Between my son and I we have three Defenders and used to have a Kimber Ultra Carry II. The one Defender that was new gave no problems out of the box at all. One that was used had a loose extractor when I got it and after tensioning that properly it functions flawlessly. The other one that was obtained used needed a new inner and outer recoil spring from Colt and after that was installed was perfect. The accuracy on all three is very good, rivaling my 4 lightweight commanders with the same ammo. The Kimber UC II is no longer with us because while it had some great features including a ramped barrel, the accuracy was so bad I couldn't handle it ( nice tight 2 foot group at 15 yards). All the Defenders will hold into 3 inches at 15 yards.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Between my son and I we have three of them. Because of the short cycle the higher pressure ammo works the best. The main problem that I have found is with the magazines with the orange coated followers. Sometimes Colt got a bit carried away and the orange material is so thick that the magazines can be hard to load with 7 and sometimes don't return all the way. If that happens, clean the orange off the edges and they will work fine. Ours shoot well and will stay with all 4 of my LW commanders. My general practice load is 5.2 gr of 700x, WW LP Primer, any case and a 200 grain H&G 68 cast of wheel weight. It's an amazingly accurate load out of these and other Colts. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts