Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
The only possible CW medical paraphernalia I have are these two knives I picked up in a box-o-knives at an estate sale. From what I can find, they were part of amputation sets sold during and post CW.
Both have hardwood handles with the same checkering pattern. The larger knife is single edge and stamped "TIEMANN" and the smaller blade is stamped "DEGNHARDT CHICAGO" and is double-edged with the upper cutting edge ~1 3/4" less than the bottom edge.

For some reason I can't upload pictures today 🤬 🤬🤬🤬

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The only possible CW medical paraphernalia I have are these two knives I picked up in a box-o-knives at an estate sale. From what I can find, they were part of amputation sets sold during and post CW.
Both have hardwood handles with the same checkering pattern. The larger knife is single edge and stamped "TIEMANN" and the smaller blade is stamped "DEGNHARDT CHICAGO" and is double-edged with the upper cutting edge ~1 3/4" less than the bottom edge.

For some reason I can't upload pictures today 🤬 🤬🤬🤬
I'll see if I can identify the Tiemann for you. The Degenhart would be much later than the Civil War.
Mike

·
Registered
480 Posts
Damn, the thought of getting treated in a field hospital for a mini ball wound. That’s a very unusual treasure you have there, almost overkill on the tiffany style grips but who knows who lived because of a timely amputation and follow up to make sure the subsequent infection didn’t kill the patient by this doctor. Congratulations on a fine acquisition.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I'll see if I can identify the Tiemann for you. The Degenhart would be much later than the Civil War.
Mike
Here are the poor pictures I mentioned earlier along with a medical kit picture from the internet.

Tool Wood Ruler Font Office supplies
Wood Hand tool Brush Office supplies Tints and shades
Office supplies Wood Font Writing implement Natural material
Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool Wrench Rectangle

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
That is a VERY impressive collection on your website!
All I have are the two knives and the hope I never need anything amputated...AND the relief that anesthesia has improved in the last 150+ years!

Mark

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Damn, the thought of getting treated in a field hospital for a mini ball wound. That’s a very unusual treasure you have there, almost overkill on the tiffany style grips but who knows who lived because of a timely amputation and follow up to make sure the subsequent infection didn’t kill the patient by this doctor. Congratulations on a fine acquisition.
hello, the tiffany handle is elegant and appears to match well with the engraving.
regards, bro

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.