Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been researching, collecting, and buying Colt Optics (scopes, tactical red dot, rifle, handgun) sights for the past few years. I, and others, have heard there was a catalog put out by 'Colt Optics', but as of today, I have not been able to acquire or find one. I know Colt is associated with C-More sights, but I have not been able to find any company information on that association either. Yes, I know about the Colt association with Leupold/Stevens. Yes, I know all about the Colt sights in the 1990s Colt Catalogs, but that is not 'Colt Optics', that is the firearm business. What I'm looking for is anything to shed light on Colt Optics.

11/15/2021 update:

The question about Colt Optics has been answered and my problem solved:
It turns out that Colt never created a physical business called Colt Optics, it was just the marketing department of Colt Mfg. co-branding the Colt name with multiple makers of optics. The listings for Colt branded products were then folded into ad campaigns in the yearly catalogs. Companies like Leupold, C-More, Realist, Hakko, and other Japanese optical companies simply made products with the Colt logo emblazed on the product.
Mike

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
I have an almost complete file of Colt full-line catalogs and various price sheets starting from about 1957. The Coltmaster Junior and Coltmaster Deluxe telescopic sights and scope mounts are first mentioned in the September 1, 1960 Dealer Price List. They are not shown in the full catalog of that year.
They are also shown in the Dealer Price List for 1962, but not 1963.
The Coltmaster Junior scope only is mentioned in the June, 1, 1964 Dealer Price list.
The Coltsman Junior scope is shown on the back cover of catalog CP100 (1965, I think) in 4x and 6x magnifications. The AR-15 Sporter scope is first mentioned in that catalog.
The same illustrations are also present in the 1966 catalog which carries the same form number.
The June 1, 1968 Price List shows the Coltsman Jr. Scope in 4x and 6x and the AR-15 Sporter Rifle Scope.
The last mention of the Coltsman Jr. scope I see was in the 1971 catalog. The AR-15 scope is still in that catalog at that time. (It is sometimes hard to figure out what the year of a particular catalog because Colt sometimes didn't print dates on them.)
I also looked in John Ogle's book "The Book of Colt Paper" (Blue Book Publications, Inc., 2011) and did not find a mention of a Colt Optics catalog. However, there is a photo of a "Colt Optics by C-More" item on page 251. But you say you are aware of that one.
If you are a member of the Colt Collector's Association, refer to your 2010 membership directory and see if you can find contact information for Jim Ashing, John Ogle or Ken Condry. Each of those guys are very knowledgeable about Colt catalogs and other paperwork and may know what you are looking for. If you don't have a membership directory, drop me a personal message and I'll see what I can find for those guys.
- Bruce in Ohio

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been researching, collecting, and buying Colt Optics (scopes, tactical red dot, rifle, handgun) sights for the past few years. I, and others, have heard there was a catalog put out by 'Colt Optics', but as of today, I have not been able to acquire or find one. I know Colt associated with C-More sights, but I have not been able to find any company information on that association either. Yes, I know about the Colt association with Leupold/Stevens. Yes, I know all about the Colt sights in the 1990s Colt Catalogs, but that is not 'Colt Optics', that is the firearm business. What I'm looking for is anything to shed light on Colt Optics.

Please message with any information or post it here.
Mike Echols
I've solved my own question.

The more I think about it, I suspect there was no 'Colt Optics', just a letterhead, thus no catalog by 'Colt Optics.' Most likely it was just a desk in the Colt organization that handled Colt branding with outside suppliers. One guy organized finding and hiring suppliers who put the Colt name on a required product. Colt did it with hundreds of products, like knives, handcuffs, watches, etc., so why not sights? There never was one. Problem solved.

I'm going with that theory and not bother hunting a catalog or a building or business called 'Colt Optics'. It never existed. Colt Optics was just a 'branding' operation that found a place in the monthly Colt Catalogs for a short period of time.

Yep...Problem solved. Next!
Mike Echols

·
Registered
11,791 Posts
There were some printed ad sheets Colt put out for optics...I have some around here somewhere. I don't think there was any separate catalog from Colt. It was like in the late '50s and early '60s Colt had an archery division but the products were included in the annual product catalog...not anything separate as far as I know.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I've come to the conclusion the name "Colt Optics' was just something the branding nerds at Colt Mfg. dreamed up when they co-branded with a company who produced sights like Leupold, the Japanese, and others. Problem solved.
Thank you.
Mike

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
At one point or another, Colt issued separate catalogs for police items, archery equipment, handguns, rifles & shotguns and even holsters. These were in addition to the annual "full line" catalogs that showed all the Colt guns along with some of the above.
- Bruce in Ohio

1 - 7 of 7 Posts