Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Ron

I don't think it's possible...based on what i know the serial# would tell you that it was shipped to Police,or a amilitary Installation and then dispersed from there. I May be wrong though.

Marko

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marko
You may be right. Was hoping it may be like the Ds's and some form of tracking has been established for them. I have seen some pics of 4 inch Commandos that have been attributed to the OSS and thought maybe something could be learned from them. I know it is a long shot. Cold here and not much to do, so thinking out loud. One of the few days I feel well to sit in front of the computer!
Ron

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
Ron, are you asking this question because you have found a lettered OSS shipped Commando? If so, congratulations. Per Pate "OSS records indicate some overseas issues of Commando revolvers, and most of the early two-inch barreled revolvers were sent overseas. But for the most part, the Commando was bought for the DSC. The SOD historical report for April-June 1944 stated:...all Commando Cal. .38 Special revolvers were being allocated to the Defense Supplies Corporation. During the period, this agency complained about the premium that was being paid to the Government as a handling charge. An agreement was reached that Defense Supplies Corporation was to deal directly with Colt's and Ordnance contracts with the company were canceled with no charge to the government."

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish! No, I always wanted one and thought if they were specific number blocks I could be picky. With the way prices are going on them, I am afraid my collecting days are on the brink of ending. I found that out on the recent 1903 (lettered to Intel) on GB. Went way beyond what iIcan afford.
Ron
Ron, are you asking this question because you have found a lettered OSS shipped Commando? If so, congratulations. Per Pate "OSS records indicate some overseas issues of Commando revolvers, and most of the early two-inch barreled revolvers were sent overseas. But for the most part, the Commando was bought for the DSC. The SOD historical report for April-June 1944 stated:...all Commando Cal. .38 Special revolvers were being allocated to the Defense Supplies Corporation. During the period, this agency complained about the premium that was being paid to the Government as a handling charge. An agreement was reached that Defense Supplies Corporation was to deal directly with Colt's and Ordnance contracts with the company were canceled with no charge to the government."

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you can find a copy of Serial Numbers of U.S. Martial Arms, Vol.4, by Springfiled Research Service (1995) ,it does have a section devoted to Colt DA .38 revolvers,and on page 155 about two dozen plus SNs for Commandos are listed as OSS, most going to the CBI theater. There are also a of other OSS weapons listed in the book.I don't know if it is still available,but in the past you could get a letter for a fee, giving more details. Here is the present link(I have no idea what info is present at this time):
SPRINGFIELD RESEARCH SERVICE

Regards.

Tecolote

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.