Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jaw Bone Gesture Ear Art

I was really sad to see this. Dennis was one of the top 3 carvers of our Generation. Later in his career he loved doing "nudies". Which at first turned me off. But once I saw a "saloon girl" he carved in ivory I was sold. I have a few pairs of Mr Holland's art but I just never got around to having one last pair of ivory carved again by Dennis. Wish I had.
Table Wood Art Sculpture Artifact

Speaking of Colt SAA experts, I was informed that Dennis Holland, considered one of the best ivory grip fitters/carvers, passed away a 2 weeks ago. One of the greats!
Revolver Air gun Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel

Dennis was a real gentleman and did some amazing carving. Much of it for Nutmeg over several decades. A lot of the carving still shown at Nutmeg's web site was Dennis' work.

A photo ode of Dennis' work. I know members here have a lot of it.

Shoe Leg Human body Wood Basic pump

Musical instrument Wood Table String instrument Human leg

Revolver Silver Table Jewellery Font

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Art Creative arts Artifact Wood Sculpture

Kitchen utensil Knife Everyday carry Artifact Blade

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
Sad loss for his family and our community. Let's keep this thread going by having members post up pictures of his work!!

I don't have any but, I really really enjoy the floral scroll pattern that's on that engraved frame as well as the nude that Coz posted. Most nude work out there isn't my style on guns but ones like that have a certain beauty and elegance. Would definitely enjoy having something like that on a display piece at some point.

Now please, for those with his work, post it here to be treasured as a remembrance of a great artist!

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many of Dennis' bull carvings were often really high relief and not that easy to shoot with any comfort. Some simply weren't made to be shot at all, more art, than grip. I can usually spot Dennis' work pretty easily after owing a bunch of it. But I sure couldn't say your high relief steer head was not Dennis's work, Mike. That is a nice pair of grips no matter who made them.

Might be worth sending Emily a photo and asking her.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Many of Dennis' bull carvings were often really high relief and not that easy to shoot with any comfort. Some simply weren't made to be shot at all, more art, than grip. I can usually spot Dennis' work pretty easily after owing a bunch of it. But I sure couldn't say your high relief steer head was not Dennis's work, Mike. That is a nice pair of grips no matter who made them.

Might be worth sending Emily a photo and asking her.
Yes indeed!

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These are some of Mr. Holland's patterns that you can still purchase in fake ivory grips.

"Anyone who has ever seen Dennis Holland's work, recognizes him as the most outstanding grip carver
& scrimshaw artist in the U.S. for many years. The back of his grips usually have KDH inscribed.
We are forever grateful that he has partnered with us for many years.
Dennis Can Carve or Scrimshaw Any Design!
"
Historical & Rare Relief Carved Ivory-Like Grips Made by NC Ordnance (gungrip.com)

Helmet Sleeve Font Wood House numbering

Font Tool Household hardware Bicycle part Metal

Wood Triangle Scale Font Rectangle

Wood Art Rectangle Font Metal

Sleeve Font Material property Body jewelry Jewellery

·
Registered
217 Posts
View attachment 793771

I was really sad to see this. Dennis was one of the top 3 carvers of our Generation. Later in his career he loved doing "nudies". Which at first turned me off. But once I saw a "saloon girl" he carved in ivory I was sold. I have a few pairs of Mr Holland's art but I just never got around to having one last pair of ivory carved again by Dennis. Wish I had.
View attachment 793773

View attachment 793774

Dennis was a real gentleman and did some amazing carving. Much of it for Nutmeg over several decades. A lot of the carving still shown at Nutmeg's web site was Dennis' work.

A photo ode of Dennis' work. I know members here have a lot of it.

View attachment 793763

View attachment 793764

View attachment 793765

View attachment 793766

View attachment 793767

View attachment 793768

View attachment 793770
Stunning craftsmanship. My condolences to you, his family and friends.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Sixguns, you can see pictures of Mikes gun on Hamilton Bowen’s website in the workshop area. It titled Lightweight USFA and it was built about 6-7 years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts