Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually spent way too much time trying to research an old colt Derringer. Its serial number is 19787- barrel matches . I went to production numbers but the 3rd model Thuer is not this piece. I have attached a photo assuming someone will know what it is and its value. I would appreciate any help available. Thank you

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
Welcome aboard; wish I could help by derringgers are not my forte. You may wish to post this on the revolver page for more coverage of the issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you I will...I got this as one of many" buried pieces in drawers" at my dads gunshop (Independence Arms and Armor" when he passed away.....I suppose after 37 years....too much other good stuff...and he was definitely a military collector. Again Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another note-It looks a lot like an "open top" It is 22cal. however- it has a slot- not a hole- rifling is very good, .

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Yup, a colt Open top .22 not a derringer. These were made in the 1870s. Revolvers aren't considered "derringers" only single or double shot pocket guns.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Its an Open Top Pocket Revolver , made in 1874. If the slot you are referring to is in the frame, its for the hammer protusion to strike the cartridge. Since its a rimfire there was no need for a round hole. This gun was made for blackpowder ammo and modern ammo should not be fired in it. I've got 4 or 5 of these little guns, I like them. The spur trigger return spring seems to be the weak link as many guns are found with broken springs. Decent examples usually sell in the $200 range, nice ones with full nickel plating bring a bit more.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Its an Open Top Pocket Revolver , made in 1874. If the slot you are referring to is in the frame, its for the hammer protusion to strike the cartridge. Since its a rimfire there was no need for a round hole. This gun was made for blackpowder ammo and modern ammo should not be fired in it. I've got 4 or 5 of these little guns, I like them. The spur trigger return spring seems to be the weak link as many guns are found with broken springs. Decent examples usually sell in the $200 range, nice ones with full nickel plating bring a bit more.
bet the primer only Colibri stuff should be safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you....the memories worth more....But I do appreciate having history thats over 135 yrs old. If it could only talk. Thank you!

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
I've got this engraved one. Unfortunately it had been abused. Has a really loose arbor, weak mainspring and I think the frame is cracked. It's been in my family for quite a while.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Twaits; Thats for pocket concealment, my little Avenging Angel, it is an original barrel that some trimmed to 1 1/2", has the bead front sight. Jim

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Twaits; Thats for pocket concealment, my little Avenging Angel, it is an original barrel that some trimmed to 1 1/2", has the bead front sight. Jim
Thats excellent. If you get a chance can you post a picture of one of you open tops with that barrel on it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts