Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1882 single action 1st gen. colt revolver. I am looking to sell it for financial reasons. Here is a little of what I know about it and some pictures. Any help with what it may be worth, how to go about selling it/auction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,
Jim

The gun was shipped to Hartley and Graham in New York, New York on Oct 24th 1882. Which is the same day that Buffalo Bill's gun was shipped to the same place. I believe the serial # is 783XX and all match. I have tried to included all the numbers in the pictures. Please let me know if any other pictures would be needed to help on my fact finding.

It was passed down to my grandfather, who was the eldest boy in the family, by my great grandfather and they was in the Arkansas area when it changed hands. From there it was handed down to my father and now me. Unfortunately they have all passed and I am not able to get the story but what I remember is that it did kill a person but that is a little sketchy of who and when it happened.

Pictures by Jim_Dickerson - Photobucket

·
Registered
946 Posts
Jim, are your kids starveing to death? There is no way I would sell that gun out of the family unless it was something that drastic. Maybe you dont like guns, thats okay. Maybe your kid someday would like to pass it on to their kid! I am not saying this because it is a old valuebal colt, but would say the same thing if it was a $30 iver johnson owl head!
I will leave the valuation to others here better informed than me.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Congratulations - or something. I have one almost its twin but a little better, a few years earlier & with a nice shiny bore - but without any legend or Colt letter. Mine has a repair to the wood on one side where a big splinter has an inlet. I'll be watching here to get an idea of value of mine, right now I'm thinking $2500. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
i wouldn't sell it either, but if you want a valuation, check out recent sales on gunbroker, auction arms and the rock island auctions. the cylinder pin on that is homemade, but other than that it looks like a nice one!

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
I agree with a couple others here Jim; I wouldn't sell it. Your great grandfather thought enough of it to keep it in the family by entrusting it to his oldest son. Then apparently your grandfather passed his name and gun down to your father and he did the same with you. I presume that, since you are the third (III).

It would be nice to see your heirloom passed down to your child as well along with it's long history.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
I have a 1882 single action 1st gen. colt revolver. I am looking to sell it for financial reasons. Here is a little of what I know about it and some pictures. Any help with what it may be worth, how to go about selling it/auction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced,
Jim

The gun was shipped to Hartley and Graham in New York, New York on Oct 24th 1882. Which is the same day that Buffalo Bill's gun was shipped to the same place. I believe the serial # is 783XX and all match. I have tried to included all the numbers in the pictures. Please let me know if any other pictures would be needed to help on my fact finding.

It was passed down to my grandfather, who was the eldest boy in the family, by my great grandfather and they was in the Arkansas area when it changed hands. From there it was handed down to my father and now me. Unfortunately they have all passed and I am not able to get the story but what I remember is that it did kill a person but that is a little sketchy of who and when it happened.

Pictures by Jim_Dickerson - Photobucket
I will not offer an opinion on whether or not you should sell. I will offer an opinion on value. $2000.00 2300.00. Put in classifieds here or list on GunBroker.com.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
I think Rick pegged it about right price wise. One thing about it...no one has polished that old boy. It appears to be a pretty nice chocolate brown color.

Is the missing screw head in the front triggerguard broken off or is it
stripped out or is just the screw missing?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Really guys.... you think it would go for that much? With a stripped out TG screw, make shift cylinder pin, and broken hammer notches. I wonder if pulling the hammer back would even rotate the cylinder without causing damage. I think the family history makes this piece priceless but only to a family member.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
dunno where you guys are buying these functional, blackpowder frame saa's for $2,000 or less. at the last ria auction an example with a replacement barrel, cylinder and gripstrap brought more than $3,100. there's another thread here citing two recent gunbroker sales -- one was a post-1900 gun -- with replaced barrels etc. that went for very high prices.

if the op posted that gun on gunbroker with a buy it now of two grand it would be sold in an hour. if he put it at $2,500 it might take all of a day.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Where do you get the broken hammer notches? I didn't see anything in the OP's post about mechanical function.

The missing base pin is an easy fix. I have one in my parts bin, as do many other folks. I think it will bring $2K.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Mike,
I guess I totally don't understand the collectibility of a gun that has that much wrong with it. What's driving this market? I could understand a functional, all original piece bringing that kind of money, but ?????
Oh, well, as PT Barnum said, there's one born every minute. JMHO

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
I hate to see anyone have to sell a family heirloom but if it's got to be sold I hope the seller can get as much as he can for it and I agree with Cubrock. The cylinder pin is a quick fix and unless the triggerguard screw hole has real problems it can be fixed up pretty quickly to help the looks of the gun.

In an auction format it might bring more but if you have to pay a high seller's commission rate you can wipe out $500 to $750 worth of receipts pretty quickly and perhaps still not net $2000 on it. A seller will normally net a lot more if they are selling a single gun especially if it's black powder so they can ship it themselves versus having to go through a FFL.

It's easy to cherry pick one or two auction examples of where common or less than average guns bring more money than you would think it would when you look at the RIA or Julia auctions but then again you go and look at the Poulin auctions and others and you can see some reasonable single actions going. The most recent example is the pretty decent black powder 44-40 with some finish remaining that I bought from the Poulin auction, it needs a decent pair of rubber grips and a cylinder pin and I got it for $1500 plus the 18% buyer's premium which will put me in it for $1830 so by the time I fix it up completely I'll be in it for less than $2000. The poor seller of this piece probably walked away with $1150 or so. I find that I was the forunate one on this auction and not the seller. The auction companies make good money on these auctions and I'm not knocking them either. They are businesses and they need to make money in order to keep their doors open, what they feed off of is the bidder's excitement and competition during the bidding and they carry it to the bank.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
ponylover...there's many things i don't understand about gun collecting either. number one on that list would be why ANY colt python would be worth upwards of $1,000. they made 350,000 of them, and the end of production wasn't even 20 years ago. very few saw any real use, and a majority of those made seem to be in 98 percent-plus condition. while they were popular props in movies, they never made any history, and to my eye, they're ugly as hell. but yes. p.t. barnum.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Where do you get the broken hammer notches? I didn't see anything in the OP's post about mechanical function.

The missing base pin is an easy fix. I have one in my parts bin, as do many other folks. I think it will bring $2K.
Look at the position of the trigger, it's to far forward with the hammer all the way down. And swaping the pin out with a new shiny one wouldn't gain you anything. I would leave the current one in and just hang this old six shooter on the wall. And if Jim must sell it, I hope he gets top dollar for it.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Look at the position of the trigger, it's to far forward with the hammer all the way down. And swaping the pin out with a new shiny one wouldn't gain you anything. I would leave the current one in and just hang this old six shooter on the wall. And if Jim must sell it, I hope he gets top dollar for it.

You misunderstand - I have a ratty 1st Gen base pin in my parts bin, as do many people. Replacing that base pin with one that looked right (even if it wasn't "correct") wouldn't be hard.

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
There is also the possiblity that the hammer notches are okay but the tip of the trigger where it engages the hammer could be broken also.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts