Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attempted to remove the grip locating pin from my Det Spec to put new Hogue rubber grip on. I was using a vise and wood as illustrated in the Hogue instructions. I was not successful in getting the pin to move. I stopped because it seemed I was having to use too much force and I didn't want to break anything. Can this pin only be removed from one direction? It doesn't look like this matters. Any help or suggestions? Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just went through that problem a couple of weeks ago(see my thread in search for replacement bolt).It will go with a lot of force but be careful.I didn't diassemble anything and the next thing i knew the bolt had sheard where it comes thru the frame & enters the cylinder.The impact it took on the frame must have driven thr cylinder agaist the bolt with enough force.So if you do it,at the least remove or open the cylinder.Good luck!
gagunner

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Success! I used a friends hydraulic press. Supported the gun from below with 1/2" thick donut shaped piece of scrap metal and pushed it out with a punch. That sucker did not want to come out. It really "popped" when it came free. Supporting the gun with metal instead of wood really helped. Previously when I was trying on the vise the wood just gave too much. Maybe this will help someone else. By the way that Hogue grip really fits and feels nice. Now to see how it shoots.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts