Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can order a new set of third issue detective special grips? I prefer the "long" grips, but the "short" ones will do. Thanks.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say "long" grips but I will take a stab at providing some more info that may be of use.

The D-frame DS 3rd issue of the 70's & 80's (the one with the shroud under barrel) used a wrap around wood grip (stock) that was checkered with no medallion. The grips were in one sense "short."

On the other hand the D-frame Police Positive Special of the late 70"s (around 1977) that also had a shroud under the barrel used a similar set of wood wrap around grips having the same checkering pattern and no medallions. However they were a bit "longer."

So if you are looking for a longer, checkered wood grip that has no medallion and will fit your DS, look for a set of Police Positive Special of the late 70's vintage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting. Those are in fact the longer grips I was referring to. You may not know that they also came on the detective special. I had one with those grips on it. There is a NIB DS listed on Gunsamerica that also show the longer grips on it. Thanks WS23.

·
Registered
794 Posts
XLRRP, you might want to check out this link. It is hard to tell from the picture but they look like the "longer" grips you seek.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=119909

The price is right. If you are unsure I can measure my grips when I get home to measure how far below the butt they extend. I have examples of both the short & long versions. Just let me know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts