Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sitting here in pool of sweat, in a quandry, over whether to get DS second issue, 98% nickle with some very minor surface whiskers. The guy wants $325 and the gun keeps calling me, BUY ME! BUY ME! what should I do?

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
794 Posts
98%, nickel, 2nd issue, 325. What are you waiting for Dick? Christmas?

Seems like a no-brainer to me!

·
Registered
535 Posts
You should sell me one of your nickel, 4" .38 Diamondbacks and use the money for your new DS! Yep. That's exactly what you should do! You'd never miss the D gun and you'd make me so HAPPY!!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I couldn't resist, I GOT IT!
Dates to 1967.
Needs cleaning up before I can show it though.

rcw
Sorry, but as much as I would like to make you happy, I really would, YOU CAN'T HAVE ONE OF THE DIAMONDBACKS, but I'll put you on top of the list, if that would make you feel better.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
535 Posts
OK. So long as I know that some nice man in Florida is concerned with my happiness! You're a GOOD SPORT, Mr. D. AND you have a gorgeous collection. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:

I couldn't resist, I GOT IT!
Dates to 1967.
Needs cleaning up before I can show it though.

rcw
Sorry, but as much as I would like to make you happy, I really would, YOU CAN'T HAVE ONE OF THE DIAMONDBACKS, but I'll put you on top of the list, if that would make you feel better.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe Dr. dfarris knows the answer to couple questions.

The DS has a serial number of 939XXX which dates it to 1967, however there is no "D" prefix that number should have according to the book. Did Colt do this or did someone just forget the "D"?
Second question is did the DS NOT have a disconnect when the cylinder is open, cause I can still pull the trigger or SA cock it with it open? I just checked a couple Diamondbacks and they are the same, I never noticed this difference from Smith's before.
PUZZLING!

I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Dick,
Wasn't the D prefix only applied to the Diamondbacks?
You can cock a Smith with the cylinder open if you pull the cylinder release back. The thumb release is screwed to the hammer block which is held back by the cylinder pin when the cylinder is closed allowing the tail of the hammer to pass by it. Open the cylinder and the block slides in behind the hammer tail blocking it from being pulled back.
Colt never adapted this system.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Me, too ... you can work the trigger and hammer, 1X and 2X with the cylinder open. I'm pretty sure on any Colt. Smiths, no., except as explained by Majic. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:

Maybe Dr. dfarris knows the answer to couple questions.

The DS has a serial number of 939XXX which dates it to 1967, however there is no "D" prefix that number should have according to the book. Did Colt do this or did someone just forget the "D"?
Second question is did the DS NOT have a disconnect when the cylinder is open, cause I can still pull the trigger or SA cock it with it open? I just checked a couple Diamondbacks and they are the same, I never noticed this difference from Smith's before.
PUZZLING!

I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,693 Posts
I have no idea about the serial number.
Is the gun a pre-shrouded gun?
Sometime after 1985 Colt apparently started using just numbers again.

As for the "disconnect":

The object is to prevent Billy Bob from cocking his revolver, closing the cylinder and shooting himself, (after, of course forgetting the hammer was cocked).

S&W did this by locking the hammer forward. With the cylinder open you CAN'T cock the hammer, and with the hammer cocked, you can't open the cylinder.

Colt used a slightly different system.
On their guns you CAN cock the hammer with the cylinder open, but you can't CLOSE the cylinder with the hammer cocked.

The Colt system also prevents opening the cylinder if the hammer is cocked.

Just different systems to accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Majic
No, starting in 1966, it is true, the Diamondback started out, their series with a "D" and a four digit serial number, but in the same year DS's, which shared serial numbers with Police Positives, started adding a prefix "D" to their six digit serial number that mine doesn't have even though it is a 1967 model.
I knew about, cylinder open, hold back the thumbpiece and dry fire on the Smiths.

dfaris, your explaination makes sense, I just had never heard the different approaches before, thanks

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts