Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about a Colt Banker's Special? It looks like a DS but is probably the latter. I am sure that someone will be along that know a hell of alot more that me and will be able to tell you what it is.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
whscott; Don't take this peronally,but your gun looks like it has been shortened by a gunsmith,using the frame of a Colt Police Positive(NOT POLICE POSITIVE SPECIAL-OR A DETECTIVE SPECIAL-as the cylinder and frame window are TOO SHORT. The Police Positive .32s and Police Positive .38s shared the same serial # range beginning in 1930,and your frame was made in 1934.

I have never seen Colt mark a .32 bbl. with anything but ".32 Colt N.P." or "32.N.P.Ctge.". Looks like the barrel has been shortened and restamped,and that trigger guard area was flattened for better concealment. A "gunsmith special snubby"?

Bankers Specials were never made in .32 N.P.(.32 S&W Long),only in .38 N.P.(.38 S&W) and .22 Long Rifle.

It looks like a square butt gun,and there are many variations in this frame size grips over this period of time,as to width(front to back of grip frame),so get an accurate tracing of the grip frame,and get correct measurements from any potential seller on line. The factory stocks(grips) were checkered wood with a silver medallion,for the time period the frame was made. Hope this helps; Bud

·
Registered
909 Posts
It looks to me like you have a Police Positive frame (1934) with a bobbed barrel. The rollmark on .32 PP's and Pocket Positive's ended in ".32 POLICE CTG." just like yours; your front sight appears to be reset, and the barrel recrowned.

Also some old timer may be walking around with a dent in his skull matching your trigger guard, which is seriously bent.

[This message has been edited by Bushwhacker (edited 06-07-2005).]

·
Registered
909 Posts
I don't know where Proofhouse gets their data; the generally recognized authority is R.L. Wilson's which shows serial 364000 beginning in 1934 and 370000 beginning in 1935. Remember this is a new serial range for Police Positives which began in 1930.

Also check the top of the barrel for patent dates, they would be intact UNLESS the barrel was shortened.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I checked Proofhouse, you have to look under .38 Police Positive. Beginning in 1930, the serial range for .38's was shared with .32's and Banker's Specials. Hence the confusion.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Thats what I said in my first post,about the shared serial numbers. Starting to think some people need the reading comprehension course,I teach to 7th graders! Bud

·
Registered
909 Posts
Sorry, Bud. I realized that when I reread the whole thread. I'm afraid I need both reading and general comprehension remedial ed.

B.W.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts