Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my first Colt wheelgun is a sweet little gun with accuracy and controllability in spades over my Smith Airweight, but the trigger seems a tad sluggish on the return. I mean, I have nothing else to compare it with but my Smiths but it is very noticeably slow. Are there any two brand lovers out there who can offer their perspective on this?

------------------
Peaceful Responsible Owner of GUNS
m(--)m

·
Registered
535 Posts
Dear SnW, I've owned a Cobra and a 36 S&W and a Colt Pol Pos, which is like a 4" DS. I've never noticed any slow return of triggers on any gun. Sounds like a problem to me. But then, I do my guns the way I do my taxes and my car - somebody else may screw it up for me but I'm not gonna'! <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SnWnMe:
Well, my first Colt wheelgun is a sweet little gun with accuracy and controllability in spades over my Smith Airweight, but the trigger seems a tad sluggish on the return. I mean, I have nothing else to compare it with but my Smiths but it is very noticeably slow. Are there any two brand lovers out there who can offer their perspective on this?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
Unfortunately, there are a wide variety of causes for slow/sticky trigger return.

These range from something rubbing, to somebodies attempt at home gunsmithing.

The Colt "D" guns DO have a slightly less vigorious return than the coil sprung S&W guns, so nothing may be wrong.

Without seeing the gun, it's not really possible to diagnose the problem, so I'd suggest a trip back to Colt, OR find another Colt "D" gun and check it's trigger against yours.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 09-21-2003).]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dfaris, that's the word! Sticky! I doubt that it is kitchen table smithing because the screwheads are all unblemished.

Well, another friend of mine (not the one I stole the DS from) has a DS too. I'll ask to check it out. If there is a discernible difference then off it goes to the factory. What's the turn around time for Colt? I have promoted this gun to nightstand duty over my 625. I'll miss it so when it goes away for some work.

------------------
m(--)m

[This message has been edited by SnWnMe (edited 09-21-2003).]

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm new to owning Colt Revolvers other than SSAs, but I do own many other firearms. This may seem obvious, or just plain stupid, and I am fairly sure you have tried this, but have you tried some penetrating oil?

Sometimes, some types of oils turn to varnish or gum when they are used over a number of years. You could possibly just need to free up the internal parts, or just a couple of parts that aren't easy to get oil on. If you haven't tried this, I would suggest squirting "Breakfree CLP" or some other high quality penetrating oil in generous ammounts directly into the inside of the revolver. (Don't remove the sideplate!)Cover it with a cloth and let it sit for a time. Occasionally working the mechanisim. Then position to drain well, which may take some time.

Also, I have a Detective Special,the board experts tell me made in 1968, the trigger return is quick, but not as quick and forceful as a Smith, but it is much smoother than a Smith.

I Can't understand why Colt quit making Detective Specials, and Police Positive Specials. They are great revolvers.

[This message has been edited by Sojourner (edited 09-21-2003).]

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sojourner:
I'm new to owning Colt Revolvers other than SSAs, but I do own many other firearms. This may seem obvious, or just plain stupid, and I am fairly sure you have tried this, but have you tried some penetrating oil?

Yessir, Break Free was the solvent I used in conjunction with Hoppe's 9 after our first range trip together. I suppose repeating the procedure can't hurt.

[This message has been edited by Sojourner (edited 09-21-2003).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
NRA Life Mbr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts