Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well asa, I guess you know you're a lucky bum!
A 1932 for 200 bucks in mint condition is a pretty good score. Best make sure when they pass the plate around on Sunday you throw in a couple extra bucks. Got to keep those Gods (be it Gun or other) on your side.

Congrats on your new toy.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just thought I'd let you other Colt folks know that once in a great while it does pay to go to an auction. At yesterday's preview I saw a Detective Special in mint condition, serial # 411xxx. The auction contained literally dozens of early pocket pistols (Merlwin and Hulbert, etc.) and a lot of deer rifles. Figured the D.Sp. would go fairly high, but knew I wanted it. It came up early, started at $100, went to $200 and I got the little devil! Checkered trigger, perfect wood, and not a mark, even on the cylinder. Sometimes the Gun Gods do smile down benevolently. If I ever figure out how to use image hosting, I'll send a pic or two. First non-shrouded Dick Special I've had in years. -Asa

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
A great find asa! I have one in the 409xxx range. In my opinion,you will like the square butt(they changed the next year)better for shooting,with a grip adapter of course. By the sound of its condition,it may be too nice for that! Any real collector value mine had,was lowered when the previous owner had a gunsmith install a wider front sight and widen the rear notch,as his eyes reached the advanced age. Wonder if it was a "desk or bureau draw gun"? Nothing like a "great find" to help take the chill out of these Northern New England winters,eh? Bud

·
Registered
150 Posts
My only other Colts that I don't shoot are an early 3rd SAA that's NIB, and an also NIB 2 1/2 in. blued Python, but I think this Det. Sp. will also be relegated to the "look but don't touch" category. I've got a SF-VI for a snubby shooter, and two other Pythons to blast away with, so I don't feel too bad about not shooting it. There was a 42 date Byf luger and an early 1911 commercial (pretty beaten up, replacement barrel) that both went for exactly $800 just before the D.S., so I think all the lads were catching their collective breaths when I got this one. Just lucked out. -Asa

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
"General Auctions",where a few guns(usually NOT rare or collectable) are offered,are becoming almost non existant,at least up here in Maine. "Guns" tend to be "picked" out by the auctioneers,and then consigned to a gun and weapon auction,often with militaria and "sporting items" thrown in. Makes sense,as you will attract only "interested buyers". I've done "well" at only one general auction;a rare S&W Triple Lock Target,7 1/2" bbl. for $170!-BUT no other "gun people" were present! It was an auction loaded with alot of "vintage farm items". Seems like you benefitted,asa,from the "auras of the 1911 and the Luger",and bidders were probably "recovering"! Best auction story; probably close to two decades ago,I was at a gun auction that featured single shots,muskets,and some nice vintage Winchesters. A Winchester collector,probably in his early 40's arrived in a Jaguar with his very sexy and "expensive" blonde wife. Everytime he bid over $300 or so,for a Winchester,she gave him a dirty look,and at times,pulled his arm down! he bought "0" Winchesters. Towards the end of the auction,a few handguns went on sale; I got the gun I came for,a very rare 3" Police Pos. .38 Special,that I later lettered and sold for much more than the $150 I paid there for it. I guess "blondie" figured it was safe to go to lady's room(or in this case a "porta potty"-which must have killed her to place her butt on!),the last gun was an average Forehand and Wadsworth solid frame .38,which shouldve gone for $35-50-BUT-the frustrated Winchester collector,opened bids at $300!-and he got it! He mumbled to a buddy and me,who were shaking our heads,along with most in the auction tent,"this will piss the bitch off more!" Bud

1 - 5 of 5 Posts