Colt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than one being chambered in the .38 special and the other one in .357 Magnum and any cosmetic differences, are the Detective Special II and the Magnum Carry virtually the same gun?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
They are the same except for the Top Strap of the Magnum Carry is thicker to accomodate the additional pressure of the .357 Round. Other than that, they are identical.

The DSII was Available with a 3" Barrel where the Magnum Carry was not.

The Magnum Carry had a special run called the "First Edition" which was limited to 300 pieces. The First Editions had a Roll Mark on the barrel that read as such and came in the Cardboard Custom Shop Box with White Sleeve as compared to the Standard Mag Carry and the DSII which both came in the Plastic Clamshell box.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Early DS2 revolvers were close to the older D frames. Later ones used the beefier Magnum Carry topstrap and cylinder. My 3 inch DS2 has the thicker top and a cylinder long enough for 357. If Colt were smart enough to bring these back in 2 ,3 and 4 inch versions ,the competition would be in serious trouble ,and Colt fans would be very happy. Throw in an adjustable sight vent rib version in 22 ,22 mag and 357 ,and viola ,the game is afoot Watson.

·
Premium Member
21,034 Posts
Lawman67, Amen!! My DS2 as well as my SF-VI's are extremely smooth, especially in double action. I would love to find a Magnum Carry, but their price has risen to such a high level,
they are hard to afford. One of my SF-VI's is double action only and my wife loves it. The trigger pull beats the heck out of her S&W Lady Smith.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
If Colt were smart enough to bring these back in 2 ,3 and 4 inch versions ,the competition would be in serious trouble...

Few if any want a .357 snubbie and the S&W 442 - 642, as well as the Ruger LCR in .38 Spcl., are what people want today. Colt is not going to bring back DA revolvers.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
If nobody wanted a 357 snub, why the Ruger LCR 357? My feeling is the 357 will probably not be shot with 357 ,but will be strong enough to withstand all 38 plus and plus p plus. a snub 357 does not make a whole lot of sense today except as said to be a strong 38. Buffalo Bore 38 158 lhp out of a 2 inch revolver exceeds all 357s out of the same barrel length , it is even faster than the lighter 140 gr slugs . As to Colt not making da revolvers again ,a few months back I would and did say no, but with the takeover by Colt defense , maybe.

·
Registered
184 Posts
A LGS here in the Atlanta area currently has a DSII on the shelf for $700 [probably OTD], which i probably a fair price. I already have a Magnum Carry that I bought new in 1998 so it would be a superfluous purchase for me.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
A LGS here in the Atlanta area currently has a DSII on the shelf for $700 [probably OTD], which i probably a fair price. I already have a Magnum Carry that I bought new in 1998 so it would be a superfluous purchase for me.
yes it's a fair price, actually more than fair, and if you're into collecting or investing there is no way that it would be a superfluous purchase.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I had a SF-VI factory bobbed a few years ago. Aren't the "internals" different or closer to a Colt other than the DS?

·
Premium Member
21,034 Posts
To me, the SF-VI was just the early designation for the gun that became known as the DS-II. I have 3 SF-VI's that are of different appearances (one that is DA only with bobbed hammer), but the
internal working seem to be the same as for the DS-II.

·
Registered
184 Posts
yes it's a fair price, actually more than fair, and if you're into collecting or investing there is no way that it would be a superfluous purchase.
I'm trying very hard not to become a collector ;), and I've never sold a gun for a profit so I don't qualify as an investor. Perhaps, though, I should consider the latter.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
The SF VI, small frame ,v spring , improved, used a slightly different v spring ,a transfer bar ignition and slightly modified internal parts. The barrel was crowned and less tapered than the older D frames , the ejector rod head was a a cast part. The early Sf revolvers had a tendency to light strikes. That was changed on the DS2, along with a heavier firing pin spring. When I bought the 3 inch DS2 , I got it as a shooter for $239. I rounded off trigger and shot it. it was as accurate as any other D frame , I like the 3 inch barrel ,a great packing revolver that will stand up to the heaviest 38 spl loads. Regret not buying a 2 incher ,and if I had seen one , a 4 incher. I may have decreased the collector value by firing it , but I bet that 50 yrs from now , it will be worth more than $239/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts