Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Colt Detective Special 3rd generation with the shrouded barrel made around 1984. I am in Law enforcement and at that time the gun had large wrap around grips they were damage beyond repair and were replaced with Pacymyr rubber grips. A few years ago I found on the internet "factory replacement grips" very cheap. I bought them with the thought of using them on my retirement well that day is here. But I noticed that when I was placing them on the gun they are stamped on the inside of the grips "made in Italy". They fit the gun perfectly and look great but I was wondering are they really "Factory replacement Grips" they came in a plastic bag with a cardboard insert with Colt logos. (there is a lot of holster wear on the bluing so it's not a collector grade gun)

·
Registered
386 Posts
I learned from the Colt experts here that indeed Colt contracted with Italian grip makers to produce these. I would have bet against it, sure was a shock to me, also. These folks know their stuff!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,885 Posts
Most of the grips Colt got from Italy were Custom Shop fancy grips.
You see counterfeit plain Colt-type grips, often with fake Colt medallions and even in fake Colt packaging.

Without seeing good pictures we can't determine if your's are legit or fakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts