Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Detective Special 2\"

Just saw a blued 2" Detective Special in .38 special at a local gun shop. We looked up serial number - it seems to be around 1975. Gun is at least 99% in my opinion. No box. My question is about the grips. They were a honey color checkered grip but no medallions. Are these original Colt stocks? I noticed the top of each grips overlaps a very tiny portion of a screw and that made me wonder. Asking price was $369.00. Looks pretty good to this novice. Any thougths?

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Re: Detective Special 2\"

The gun sounds right, the price sounds right, but I don't think the stocks are original, unless Colt shipped some without medallions, but I doubt it. You can probably pick up a set of stocks at a gunshow or e-bay for about $30.
Enjoy

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts

Here's a picture of a pair of mid-70's and later Detective Special grips.
They did NOT have medallions, and the color became increasingly lighter as time passed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

dfariswheel - thanks for the photo. That looks like the grips I saw. But yours have a much more beautiful color. These had gotton so light they were a golden honey. The finish was still perfect. On yours, is the checkered part raised higher than rest of grip?

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts

The checkered part part is raised toward the top. That is referred to as "thumb swells". I have them from very dark and rich to honey or almost natural. That's not a bad price for a really nice one you can look at first, but perhaps you could still bargain a little. Oh, and some grips had the groove around the checkers and some didn't. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
141 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
The checkered part part is raised toward the top. That is referred to as "thumb swells". I have them from very dark and rich to honey or almost natural. That's not a bad price for a really nice one you can look at first, but perhaps you could still bargain a little. Oh, and some grips had the groove around the checkers and some didn't. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Weren't the grips without the groove around the checkering a bit longer, say about 1/4" or more?

Greg

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts

There are similar "target" grips without the swells that are about 3/8 (picky, picky) longer but there are the "combat" (don't really want to get into that again) style without the grooves.

·
Registered
141 Posts

Thanks! I have a pair of the "combat" grips as you have pictured (nice gun by the way). Aren't they also a bit longer than the grips with the groove around the checkering
(mine is)?

Were these (the combat's) ever issued with the Detective Specials, or did Colt sell them as an accessory?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts

The groove around the checkering is just a feature of the early grips.
Within a few years Colt discontinued doing the groove as a cost savings.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts

The "combats" were pretty much factory standard for the third issue (don't want to get into that either) Det Specs as far as I have seen. They are 5/8 below the butt and these are 1.

These are also Colt factory, but I don't know on what basis they were supplied. Perhaps they were optional target grips, but I'm not a catalog collector. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
55 Posts

Since I have a thumb on only one side of my hand, I didn't find those very comfortable. So I rasped and sanded away the "thumb swell" that was gouging into my palm. Also took some wood off the reload side for better ejection, which was the other side since I am a rightie. Some fired cases would get pressed up against the wood and not fall out. I ended up with more functional grips that had some checkering sanded off. But it is a gun for concealement so who cares?

Bart Noir

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts

I don't know. I acquired it as is with no history and I am curious, but have not pursued it.

·
Registered
6 Posts

RE: the "long new style grips," The Viper was an updated Police Positive Special 4" gun styled like the shrouded barrel Det Spec, it used the longer grips. The Viper, as I recall, was produced near the end of the Det Spec era in the late 70s.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Here is a photo of my 1974 Detective Special. If these are the grips (stocks) you are talking about, they are the standard issue (I think known as Combat).

Photo . . .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts