Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a dual tone gun from 1949.

I got it out of its' pistol case yesterday. and dry fired it a few times in double & single action. It functioned. But, the action was much rougher than usual. Then, it basically stopped working. The cylinder wont revolve and the trigger won't return without some effort. The crane is much harder to open and the cylinder does not spin as freely as it once did either.

Any diagnosis?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Old oil, gunk and unburned powder build up?"
Shouldn't be too hard to flush it out or soak it in Ed's Red then blow it out with a compressor. I would try that before disassembly or taking it to a gun smith.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I tried " Gun Scrubber" with no success. I haven't taken the sideplate off. I am painfully aware of my total lack of gunsmithing ability. I can turn a decent gun into a bag of parts with a quickness.....

Would soaking it in Kroil help?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,671 Posts
Kroil would certainly do the job if the problem is dried up lubricant and fouling.

You'll have to blow out the excess with an air compressor and probably put in some type of lubricant like CLP Breakfree.

What type of pistol case?
If it's a soft case, especially a fleece lined type you might have rust inside. The Kroil will break that up so it will operate, but won't remove rust damage.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Also possible that some unburned propellant or other debris has found its way under the ejector star which will cause the symptoms you describe. The star is held back against the recoil shield thus binding the cylinder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts