Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a Colt Detective special (3rd issue). I took the little bugger apart to get it PARKed as they say. One thing is standing in my way. The crane & cylinder assemby. I removed the crane from the frame & knurled screw from the end and have no idea as to whether or not the star extractor is peaned or threaded or both. Is there a simple way to remove the cylinder from the crane ? Any help would be great.
I know that this belongs in the Smithing section, but last time I was there, there was nuthin' but crickets.
Thanks in advance, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The extractor star unscrews counter-clockwise. It will probably be tight so use the removal wrench or be extra careful and pad the jaws of whatever you intend to use. You may have to use a penetrating oil to soak first and rap the face of the star with a mallet to shock the threads loose. You should raise the star, put empty cases in all 6 chambers under the star to support it for removal.
Don't force to hard as you have few threads to work with and can bend the rod.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Majic.
I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I hope all goes well.

Thanks, Jeff (GUNKWAZY)
By the way, I'll see ya on the S&W boards.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Jeff,I am not sure about "newer Colts",but my early guns(pre-1970,or so) have the end of the ejector rod "peened"into the ejector star,for additional support. Yes,it will come off,if you follow Majic,(dont get that wrench,or pliers-unless its a special wrench for this purpose-near the ejector stars ratchet teeth. The star is e-z to cross thread,and you must have those 2 indentations on the star lined up PERFECTLY with the "bumps" on the cylinder. If it is loose,you will have trouble ejecting,loading,or worse,timing troubles. Not trying to "scare" you,just going over some potential pitfalls! Good Luck! Bud

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Help some more.....
OK, now I thought I was able to manage the hard part. I was able to remove the Star.
But there's more trouble on the horizon.
The cylinder now comes off the crane, but it looks to be a bushing inside the crane holding the rest of the assembly together.
Any help here would be very nice.
Is this bushing a press fit ? Is it threaded ? Do I need some kind of bushing extractor ? Ohhhhhhh nooooo.
Thanks, Jeff (GUNKWAZY & gettin' Kwazier)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Jeff,Your going to need a special tool,like a 2 pronged screwdriver,or,what I use,very sharp needle nose pliers to UNSCREW the ejector rod assembly from inside the crane.There will be two small indentations just inside the crane hollow spot on the collar on ejector rod. They are difficult to get a grip on,but once you do,they unscrew the normal way. Spring is inside there. What I cant understand is why the gunsmith who is going to PARK,(or am I wrong to assume parkerizing?)doesnt disassemble the gun & reassemble it as part of the job. Bud

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, what you're saying is that it's a normal right hand thread. I can deal with that I hope.
As for the guy doing the parkerizing.
It's one of those deals through a friend that if I do the take down, he'll do it for the low low price he quoted me.
I thought I could learn a little bit more about these little buggers if I did this myself.
Thanks again for the help.
I'll post up before & after pics when & if I ever get it done.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Gunkwazy,
Save your self a lot of grief by getting a copy of "The Colt Double Action Revolvers, A Shop Manual, Volume One". It's written by Jerry Kuhnhausen and will detail everythng you will need to know.
It can be ordered online or thru your local bookstore.
Remember Volume One. It deals with the older action. Volume Two covers the newer style action (like the MkIII and MkV).

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Gunkwazy; DITTO what Majic said about the manual by Kuhnhausen. I figured you MIGHT have a basic manual like one by the NRA or JB Wood,on revolver disassembly,but man,you are flying blind!

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
C-mon boys,
Everthings gutted. The crane is the last of the last. One more bushing and I'm home free.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahhhhh, I finally got the little bushing out of the crane.
I've got about 6 pair of long nosed pliers and only one fit. I had to grind a small flat on the tips so that it would stay in place in the flats of the bushing.
It's all apart finally. (Who knows if she'll ever go back together ).
I took the parts over to see my buddy and he had to go into the VA hospital.
I hope he'll be fine. I'm not sure what he was going for.
Once he's out, I'll get this thing done and get you guys some before & after pics.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts