Colt Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newby to Colts and just got finished installing a hammer assy and rebound lever in my Detective Special. I bought the revolver missing those parts and thought I'd attempt to install them. I finished it but not sure about the timing and if it's actually working correctly. The double action pull stacks real heavy towards the end of the pull stroke. Is this normal? I do have a Python as well, I broke it out and of course the double and single action is silky smooth. Didn't expect the Detective Special to be that smooth but thought it would be fairly smooth. Anyways back to the timing issue. I checked the cylinder alignment after dropping the hammer with the trigger still pulled back and it appears to be aligned and locked up tight. The biggest question is does the cylinder, during double action pull, make it's final alignment by latching in the cylinder notch as the trigger breaks. Just as the trigger breaks I can see the cylinder rotate slightly then lock up occurs. It seems like I read somewhere, sometime, that this is correct for a Colt. Is this true? Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum. First you might read this post.
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showflat...=true#Post15236
Then you need to know that the parts in Colt DAs like the Python and Det Spec are not necessarily drop in parts. They generally require fitting to work properly. That fitting is best done by Colt or qualified facilities like Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters or Cylinder & Slide. That is not my knowledge, you can find numerous posts on the forum addressing this point. The best reference, and one you should have, is "The Colt Double Action Revolvers, A Shop Manual, Vol. I" by Jerry Kuhnhausen. This covers D, E and I frame Colts and is usually available from Midway, Brownells or booksellers like Amazon.com. It tells you everything you want to know, but may not want to try. Stand by for additional responses. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
the rebound is a tricky part to fit. since it controls the bolt timing it must be fit first before any other timing issues can be diag.`ed. you would be very lucky indeed to buy a rebound and it drop fit to a different frame. your next step is to buy jerry kuhnhausens book colt revolvers a shop manual volume 1. it`s the best money you will ever spend. let us know how it turns out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts