Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a "mint condition" blued Detective special ($299)to keep my Cobra and Police positive MK V company. Serial #D30xxR. Any idea when it was made?

Also, the cylinder release is a plumb color that doesn't match the bluing on the rest of the revolver, any idea why?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I tried looking up your serial number in Wilson's book but could only find that the "D" series started in 1966 with D900101.

The plum color appears on various guns and I believe it'a a combination of metal structure, chemicals, bluing salts, etc.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Here's a site with serial number info:
http://www.proofhouse.com/colt/index.html

John

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 06-13-2005).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info.

Why does the data end in 1978? Is it possible my gun is newer than that?

·
Registered
265 Posts
The Proofhouse only goes to `78 but Wilson goes to `85. I don't know why there is not more current info. Maybe somebody has to write another book.

I forgot to mention that you can call Colt and they'll give you the date over the phone,

John

[This message has been edited by JCM298A (edited 06-14-2005).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Called Colt today. CSR couldn't find the date range for D prefix and R suffix, but archives confirmed 1994.

Thanks all for the help

BTW
I thought my Cobra was a nice shooter compared to other light weight revolvers.

This Detective special is very comfortable compared to other steel snubs I've shot. It looks better too. It now wears a set of black Badger boot grips.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts