Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the Detective Special 4th issue that I've been waiting for today and am very disppointed in the condition. I paid what I think is a premium price($500) as it was advertised as NIB, unturned, but there is a noticable turn ring around the cylinder. There are also a few handling marks on it and the worst is the bluing on the barrel looks thin, as if someone had taken steel wool to it. The are a couple of other spots that look like maybe there had been some surface rust that someone had cleaned up. There was a three day inspection so I can send it back but I wouldn't mind keeping it if the dealer would be willing to discount it. It is a shooter, not the collectors piece I wanted. Would it be out of line to try and negotiatie to keep it as is? Or should I just send it back and keep looking?
Thanks,
Darnell

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
There are still plenty of NIB Detective Specials out there for sale.

Even on a certified older NIB gun, you'll likely find a few handling marks, and probably at least a faint cylinder line, just from the gun being passed around from owner to owner.

How much is too much wear on a NIB gun is a matter of opinion, BUT having the bluing thinned on the barrel, AND a well established cylinder line, AND handling marks says this is either a gun that sat in a display case and was handled by 9 million people, OR it's a used gun being passed off as NIB.

He'd have to discount it WAY down below $500 to make up for false advertising.
If experience is any guide, he will NOT do this.

My advice, bite the bullet, send it back, and keep looking.

Just make sure you touch all the bases when returning it to cover yourself and recover your money.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 03-18-2005).]

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
It can't hurt to ask the seller for a partial refund. Toss the ball in their court. Tell them that the gun is not in the condition you were told in the auction and maybe there was an oversight. But be nice about your approach.
(Is there a number that you would be willing to keep the gun at ?
Would you keep the gun if it was only $400 ?)
If so, approach it as such.
After asking about the return policy, ask if they would rather do a partial credit.
If they are not willing to do this, confirm what the return policy is and send the gun back.
I had the same problem and the seller did not want the gun back and sent me cash instead when we came to an agreement.
The seller usually does not want to pay for shipping charges and someone's going to lose money either way.
The seller also does not usually want to relist the gun because the people that watched it the first time are going to wonder what's wrong with it and not bid next time.
A smart seller will try to work things out with the buyer.
If not, again, just send it back.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have had this happen to me twice. It cost me the price of shipping, but the money was returned. SEND IT BACK. You will never be satisfied if you don't. On one purchase that I make the seller offered to discount it $100 and I refused it. I know that I wanted a NIB gun for collecting purposes.

·
Registered
267 Posts
SEND IT BACK.

They are fairly common. Its not like you are looking for a pre-war Triple Lock or a Registered Magnum. I have seen many NIB Deective Specials since I started looking for them about a year ago. Mine I bought was NIB nickled, 3rd edition, for $475.

Good luck.

------------------

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
This is JUST one of the reasons that I hesitate to purchase anything of significance from an online source from an Unknown "dealer" and where I can't handle it prior to the sale.

My 2-cents: Send it back and insist on a refund of the shipping charges since the condition was misrepresented.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took it back to my dealer to have it sent back. This is the first gun I've bought without personally examining it and will be hesitant to do it again. I'm really fussy with my guns and would have never been happy with this one. Best it went down the road. Thanks for the help on this guys.
Darnell

·
Registered
45 Posts
Darnell... I know where there are a few DS, 4th issues which I know are NIB and absolutely cherry. The dealer is asking 499 for them. Craig is a local seller that I have utmost confidence in. So if you want I can connect you with him. Actually here he is:
http://www.lightningarms.com/

His guns would be perfect for collecting and not firing. Of course, I believe in firing, so his would be good for that too! ;-)=

Otherwise, you should be able to find a pretty cherry version for less money, perhaps $400. Of my two, one was $375 and the other was $400. Both are LNIB, just gorgeous. Found them on GoingBroker, I mean GunsAmerica. ;-)=

[This message has been edited by DHart (edited 03-20-2005).]

·
Registered
132 Posts
This is why I just hate to buy guns sight unseen. Sometimes--like your case here with the DS--there is pretty clear intent to deceive (to put it bluntly). Sometimes it's an honest difference of opinion about condition. I have found a few dealers I trust to buy from by mail or over the net, and they are to be cherished. Even digital photos can lie.

Send it back.

Best,
Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts