Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a late model DS that is having problems with the cylinder "dragging", for lack of a better word.

I've been shooting Winchester whitebox 130gr FMJ ammo through it and no +P ammo. I'm noticing that at times it is very hard to cock the hammmer. I've also noticed a few rub marks on the front of the cylinder.

I've given the pistol a good cleaning and have still noticed the problem. I've also noticed that when it becomes difficult to cock the pistol, I can manually rotate the cylinder and it locks into place just fine.

My DS is one of the last issues. It's not a DS2, but is +P rated and has the rubber grip.

Any ideas what can be wrong, or how to correct it? Thanks!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,906 Posts
There are a number of problems ranging from grit under the ejector, to so much end shake in the cylinder the front of the cylinder is actually touching the barrel.

Unfortunately, without seeing the actual gun there's no way anybody can diagnose the problem, so I'd suggest a GOOD cleaning in the following areas:
Under the ejector with a tooth brush, and it's seat in the rear of the cylinder.

Use a brass brush on the rear of the barrel and the front of the cylinder.

Use the tooth brush on the face of the frame around the firing pin and latch pin area.

Check the cylinder for free rotation on the swung-out crane. It should rotate freely.

What you're looking for is any grit stuck under the ejector, or it's seat in the rear of the cylinder. All it takes is one tiny piece of grit or a burned bit of powder to cause the cylinder to bind. This is sometimes almost impossible to see, so even though you've cleaned it, clean again.

Look for build-up on the front of the cylinder, the rear of the barrel, or the frame.

If this doesn't do it, I'd suggest letting a pro Colt-qualified Pistolsmith look at it.

I can recommend the Colt factory, or

Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters
1330 Center Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15229
(412)766-6100

Both of these can be trusted to work on the older Colt revolvers.
DO NOT trust anybody else, no matter what they say.
VERY few people are still qualified to work on the Colt revolvers.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 05-02-2004).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts