Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local shop has a 3rd issue D/S...I've always shot the D better than a S&W J,so...how much shooting with moderate loads can they go for?Obviously +P's need to be used sparingly,will probably load a light 158 semi-wadcutter for practice....thanks,Pete

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just for perspective. I am sending my Diamondback into Colt to replace a busted bolt screw. It has over 45,000 rnds down it now. It has taken me 25 years to put that many down it.

------------------

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
The Colt Detective Special, like all guns, really doesn't have a definite service life.

If you keep it in proper adjustment, make sure it's in time, and get it adjusted if it starts to develop end shake, it should last about forever.

All machines are subject to wear, and usually what determines how long they last is how well they're maintained.

Keep a DS cleaned and lubed, hold down the +P ammo, and have any problems fixed before they get too bad, and it should last indefinitely.

It's the nature of small pistols that they seldom get shot enough to really break them in.
Most owner's never really take them out on a regular basis and SHOOT them extensively.

This lack of historical data makes it impossible to assign a definite service life as to how many rounds one will go.

I know of one mid-1930's Colt Detective Special that's had an average of 1000 rounds a year of reloaded 158 grain mid-range loads through it.

Taking the WWII years out, this leaves something like as much as 60,000 rounds through it.

It's been meticulously maintained, sent back to Colt for adjustment an unknown number of times, and is still in 100% mechanical condition.

There's a story about this one being put to good use, and I'll post it in the lounge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts