Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Colt Detective Special (38) in a local gun shop. I looked the serial number up in Proof House and it looks to be of 1962 vintage. It appears to be in 98% condition with original grips. They are asking $399.00 for it. I'm thinking about picking it up as a carry gun since I want to stick with a revolver. Two questions. Is the price fair? Does this make a good carry gun? Thanks for your help! This forum is great!

·
Registered
12 Posts
bubba it all depends on how you like it. A Detective Special is one of my favorite wheel guns. I like the larger cylinder cap. 6 shots instead of 5. The price seems right for a 98% gun. And these guns shoot great and are real easy to conceal. I traded a 1964 vintage gun and have always regreted it. But I have since replaced it. Good Luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
Four hundred dollars is high. I got a '66 at a gun shop for $235, and a '74 from the same place for $265. Both were in similar condition to yours.

Now, overpaying for a gun is not a sin. I've done it many times. If you really want that gun NOW, buy it and don't worry about the money. It will be a lifetime investment.

But, bear in mind, Colt DS is not a very rare item, and your '62 is not of the high-priced variety. Most buyers are looking for the later shrouded barrel models. So you will definitely find something better priced if you are patient.

As for carry, this gun has the exposed ejector rod. Later models from the '70s and on have shrouded ejector rods. Better to ask someone who carries a gun.

Your model has the easy to see front sight. I like shooting my exposed rod model (1966) much better as I can see the sight picture more clearly. But I don't carry either of them. I just enjoy shooting the little darlings.

Here are my two Colt DS revolvers... you will see I've swapped the wood grips for rubber Pachmayr Compac grips -- much easier on the hand when shooting, obtainable on eBay.

Lower is 1966 "2nd issue", exposed ejector rod; upper is 1974 "third issue", shrouded ejector rod.

MC&HNY!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses! This is exactly the type of information I was hoping for. Think I'll wait a bit and see if I can find one for a little less. I'm not in love with this particular gun so I can wait until I find the "right" one at the "right" price. Thanks again!

·
Registered
185 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
As for carry, this gun has the exposed ejector rod. Later models from the '70s and on have shrouded ejector rods. Better to ask someone who carries a gun.

Your model has the easy to see front sight. I like shooting my exposed rod model (1966) much better as I can see the sight picture more clearly. But I don't carry either of them. I just enjoy shooting the little darlings.

MC&HNY!

[/ QUOTE ]

If I may.......there is a good reason why they "shaved down" the front sight and closed in the rod. For a "true" carry, you want as little to "snagg up" on loose clothing as possible.

As you can imagine, one of the tale tale signs of carring is loose clothing.......

The snug front sight is nothing to worry about with a carry considering you don't really aim a carry anyways......you just point and squeeze.

The last "Performance Shooting" school I went to quoted stats on the "average gun fight". The average gun fight happens between 6 - 12ft away and averages in 10 seconds or less. (something like that)

With all of that being the way that it is, a good carry should be comfortable to carry (so that you do!), easy to draw (without obstructions), and a weapon that you are good at shooting and goes "bang" every time you pull the trigger.

For the reasons, I like the newer model.

my .02

edited to say: for those exact reasons, I like the hammer shroud to boot!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm kinda stuck on a revolver for a carry gun since I don't like the complexity of a semi-auto and all the stuff that can go wrong at the wrong time. Are there other Colt revolvers other then the Detective Special that would make good carrys and what type of price range are we talking?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
There is a post with a pic of a carry rig for an Anaconda, but that's a little extreme. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'd say the best bet is pretty much Det Specs or variants. The Cobra and Agent are DS with alloy frames for light weight. Later equivalents like SF-VI, DS-II and Magnum Carry are stainless. It's hard to nail a price - there are a lot on auction with high asks but the more ridiculous usually don't sell. Of course, none are currently manufactured so that means they are all "rare and collectible" to some. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif The older models sometimes have higher asks just because they are older and indeed perhaps more collectible in good shape. I might suggest watching for a 3rd or 4th issue (shrouded ejector) DS in the $250 to $350 range. They do happen. I actually bought a very nice 4th issue at auction for under $250 (plus FFL and reasonable shipping) recently. The later SS models tend to run $400 to $600 (Robba will tell you differently /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif but have a very smooth double action. HTH /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
185 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I'm kinda stuck on a revolver for a carry gun since I don't like the complexity of a semi-auto and all the stuff that can go wrong at the wrong time. Are there other Colt revolvers other then the Detective Special that would make good carrys and what type of price range are we talking?

[/ QUOTE ]

believe it or not, alot of people think that way. I carry an auto regularly, but am not against a revolver. A stainless DS would be a great carry.

For as much time as you spend picking the proper carry, please do not neglect picking the proper rig, thought to reloading, and the time it takes to learn to; 1) draw 2) shoot 3) reload.

In Texas, when you take your CHL (permit), if you test with a revolver, you may ONLY carry a revolver. I see some folks test with a 22 rim auto just for the test. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The president of my company carries an auto daily......an auto that has NEVER been fired and he has never practiced drawing from its carry config. My worry is that during a very stressful conflict, if he tries to pull his pistol, he may snagg up, drop it, or the thing may not fire. (he has been warned)

At least ONCE in your life, find a good "Practical Shooting" class or "Combat SHooting" class if you plan on carring. Alot of serious pistol carry folks have something like 3 rigs for every pistol they carry......boot holster for slacks, shoulder for sports jacket, pancake for daily use.

As for the original question, I like stainless for its durability; with that said, the 4th DS in SS with a high quality pancake and 1 speed loader would score a %100 (A+) in my oppinion.

and please remember, ANY gun carried is better than ANY gun left at home! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RgrLee. Good advice on the carry class. I just recently completed a class where the instructor had me practice drawing and then shooting multiple targets. He put a stop watch on me and recorded how long I took. His comment was that most real life confrontations involve more then one aggressor so you have to be able to respond to that. I was amazed at how much I improved from a timing and aiming perspective just from that one day of practicing with a trained instructor. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who plans to get a carry permit.

·
Registered
185 Posts
thats great; I'm glad you liked the class. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

IF you like the different senerios and "drawing to shoot", look into IDPA for some friendly shooting with friends but with practical application. Based upon your last comments, IDPA is right up your ally.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you ended up with. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts