Colt Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

74 Posts
Some time in the 1960s Colt went to the square butt short grip frame that lasted until they stopped making the Detective Specials. Before that, the frame was long and slightly rounded at the bottom as the steel edges were completely exposed from the stocks. The later short square butts had the wood or rubber stocks filling in below where the frames ended. You can always tell by looking at the bottom of the grip frame. If there is a steel frame visible, it's the older style long butt slightly rounded; if there is only wood or rubber, it os a newer style short frame square butt. Stocks for the older style are harder to find, while stocks for the new short style are plentiful (eBay is a good source).

Here is a photo of my 1966 unshrouded DS (2nd issue) with the short square butt grip frame.


[This message has been edited by Thirties (edited 03-08-2005).]
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.