Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Detective Special ser.#562863,w/ coltwood grips. This is a shooter, nothing more, and I'd like to replace the grips w/ a set of colt checkered wood. What do I have to know about grip size, etc. for this model and age. Thanks, Bill

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
You'll need a pair of the older style grips to fit the long grip frame.
The later Colt Detective Special has a "stubby" grip on which the grips overlapped on the bottom.

Here's a picture of the difference in frames:

Here's a picture of the newer type grips and how they over lap on the stubby frame:

What you'll need are a pair of old style "D" frame grips which will be checkered walnut, with Silver Colt medallions.
The same grip was used on the early Cobra.

These can be found fairly often on Ebay, at good prices, BUT make SURE the seller isn't selling the later style with the overlap at the bottom.

Here's a pair up for sale now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/COLT-FACTORY-WOOD-GR...1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
And, Bill.make sure they are NOT Square Butt wooden stocks,full length for a D frame. These were standard for some of the Detective Specials and Police Positive Specials. While they will "fit".they will overhang the rounded corners,and even though you can sand them to fit,they won't look like true round butt stocks,that are checkered all the way to the bottom.

best of luck in your quest!

Bud

·
Registered
117 Posts
Can you trim the overhang and drill the hole on a later pair like that? Are the overall dimensions correct?

Brian

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I would NOT do what you suggested Brian,as these grips are fairly commpm an in the $20-30 range. I suppose,if someone gave me a "freebie" pair of short frame stocks,I might try that "cutting and drilling"-BESIDES-medallions,checkering and screws/escutcheons would be different from the stocks that is correct for his gun.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts