Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own one Colt. It is a Detective Special serial number M477XX. It has the lug under the barrel. When I bought the gun it came with Pachmayr Compac Presentation Grips. These grips give the gun a round butt shape however the butt of the gun is a square. I want to replace the rubber grips with wood grips but only if I can retain the round shape. Do I have a square butt gun or is this gun capable of using the small round wooden grips?

These are the grips I want to use:

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=485910&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

Bill

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum. No, those are for an earlier version gun that has a full grip frame rounded on the bottom. However, rounded wood stocks are available for your gun. They look just like those from the front side but have "spacers" on the butt end to essentially complete the grip frame with wood. The correct stocks for your gun are the wraparound (in the front) "combat" stocks with the thumb swell and they are also available typically on EBay, but also from Gun Parts the last I knew. They look like this

There are also aftermarket wood stocks like Badger that are rounded on the bottom, assuming a definite round is your preference for carry. HTH /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
if your gun is shrouded it came with the wrap around or UGLY stocks as we call them here in ky.the post 66 short frame grips simular to the ones pictured will fit and look so much better. i would CALL gunparts and tell you need the extension type for the post 66 d-frame and they will still likely foul it up. i have around 100 pr. of those if you strike out with them.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,802 Posts
Your Detective Special will have the late style short butt.

There are two basic types of factory grips.
The "Combat" model and the "Service" type.
The Combat type were standard on the post-1927 heavy barreled guns.

The "Service" type were used on the short butt guns from the mid-1960's to 1972. These grips overlap on the bottom to convert the short grip frame to a longer grip.

Combat model:

"Service" type with overlap on bottom: Note the overlapping wood on the bottom:

Here's how they look on the gun:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone. You've given me just the answers I was looking for and saved me from ordering the wrong grips.

Bill

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello, while doing a search here I'm almost there on the answer,,,but to be sure. I am looking at a 90's Detective Special which came with Colt Medallion Pachmayrs. If I am lucky enough to find the earlier combat type say from the 70's will they fit? I'd much rather go with Colt grips than aftermarket.

Thanks to All !

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,802 Posts
As in the above old post pictures, the Colt "Combat" type grips were used beginning in 1972 (mis-typed above as 1927).
These "combat" type grips were used on the Detective Special and Cobra.
Note that they're made of American walnut and have no Colt medallions.

These grips will fit almost any Colt "D" frame revolver made after 1966.

To find a pair you might post a Wanted ad in this forums Classified section.
Several members sell some types of Colt grips and may have a set of Combat grips to sell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, this thread has come back to life 9 years after I started it. I want to update with my experience. The gun laid around for about 9 years getting shot a few rounds every 3 or four years. Recently I reformed an old Don Hume holster made for a J frame to fit the DS and started carrying the gun once in a while. I've come to the conclusion that the original Pach grips that came on the gun are probably the best for me for carrying. They actually make the grip of the gun slightly thinner than a J frame with Magnas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts