Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I do not consider that DS "Like New," far from it. It has high edge wear and muzzle bluing wear, thinning of the bluing throughout, rounded edges on the checkered ejector rod knob and cylinder release, ill fitting (probably aftermarket) but attractive ivory stocks, (probably aftermarket) bobbed hammer.

Once I read the "like new" nonsense in the ad, I stopped considering that revolver as I do not trust the seller's description.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I agree with Collects!
It does have a fair ammount of wear. The hammer being bobbed, alone would disqualify it from being like new.
It's nice, but far from like new.
Frank

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
The same seller describes this DS as "likely unfired."

Colt Detective 38 Special 2nd Issue Likely Unfired : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

The ejector rod has been pushed many, many times as seen by the wear on the ejector rod bluing. It also has some high edge wear and erosion of bluing at the muzzle. I like to look at the blast plate for evidence of firing and wear, but there are no photos of the blast plate.

I conclude that DS has been shot plenty.

The color of that seller's photos looks off to me.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
It also looks refinished to me as the pony looks worn and appears double stamped on the side plate.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
just two more examples of why i never go to gunbroker looking to buy anything. matter of fact the only time i go to gunbroker is when someone here posts a link to a certain item, i'll have a look.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
This seller's rating is poor in my consideration. He's been a member of Gunbroker for 6 years. He has 8 negative feedbacks. That averages out to a little more than 1 bad feedback a year. That is not a good batting average even if you consider he's had 366 sales.

Neither of these guns were reblued. Likewise, neither should be described as "unfired" or as "new". There is minor high edge wear on the usual spots. There's even a haze of light surface rust sprouting on the right side of the frame under the cylinder window of the newer Detective Special. I didn't see him mention that and he should have.

Despite his devious descriptions, I'd consider paying $600 for the "1940" with the ivory stocks if I had a 3 day inspection period and my examination didn't find rust in the bore or cylinder charging holes, and if the lockwork and timing were good. The stocks could be worth $200 to the right person. I'd also want to see some photos of the serial number. Anything over the current price and I wouldn't be interested.
It's a moot point anyway because I note he's selling "as is no refunds". Plus neither guns have reached his too high reserves, whatever they are.
He can keep his guns.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Wow after reading all his negative feedbacks I would never deal with him. Actually one or two negatives would nix him from my list...

Beware of this seller!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I purchase collectible Colts from Gun Broker. I have not purchased from this seller. Based on my opinion of his past offerings and descriptions he is on my ever growing "No Buy" list. My $$s, my choice. My current favorites are Keystone and Fugate. Rarely are their offerings the lowest price, but for me purchase price is not the primary consideration.
Tom

·
Premium Member
9,519 Posts
Rarely are their offerings the lowest price, but for me purchase price is not the primary consideration.
You really should keep that information to yourself, because you have just dangerously elevated the blood pressure of those two gentlemen!

In regard to the Detective Special with the ivory stocks, they do not fit the gun very well, leading me to conclude that they are not original to that particular gun.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The same seller describes this DS as "likely unfired."

Colt Detective 38 Special 2nd Issue Likely Unfired : Revolvers at GunBroker.com

The ejector rod has been pushed many, many times as seen by the wear on the ejector rod bluing. It also has some high edge wear and erosion of bluing at the muzzle. I like to look at the blast plate for evidence of firing and wear, but there are no photos of the blast plate.

I conclude that DS has been shot plenty.

The color of that seller's photos looks off to me.
Is it just me or does the ejector rod look a little too long on this one?
I think they may have been a hair longer at some point in the 50s but I usually look at the length of the rod for the sign of a rebarrel on a snubnose Colt.

·
Registered
10,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just two more examples of why i never go to gunbroker looking to buy anything. matter of fact the only time i go to gunbroker is when someone here posts a link to a certain item, i'll have a look.
I've ony had on lukewarm experience from a Gunbroker purchase. All of my other purchases I've been really happy with.
But then again I'm not usually looking for high condition high dollar guns. And there's a certain amount of "gut feeling" I go on.
The descriptions of the guns tell a lot about the seller and his integrity. Also his reactions to any concerns you contact him about.
If you gently tell a seller that the gun he advertises as "factory nickel" is actually a refinish and he tells you to go to hell, that tells you
everthing you need to know about him. If he apologizes and thanks you for the information and adds it to the listing, then that seller is okay in my book.
There are a lot of good people on Gunbroker...I consider myself one of the good guys :)

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
I like the ivory grips but I've never been a fan of bobbed hammers and it doesnt look like it even has any serrations on the little nub of hammer thats left, for single action use. If i bought it it would mainly be for the Ivory grips- theyd look good on my nickel DS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts