Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me more about this gun. I haven't seen pics yet but I believe it looks something like page 390 1st issue of the Book of Colt Firearms. US is stamped on the butt and it's in a craft box that matches the gun and a name is on the box as well. This is all I know for now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If memory serves, the Detective Special, second edition ( exposed rod) were issued to U.S. Army CID agents at least through the 70's. Since I don't have the book you referenced, I do not know if that is the model you have.

Regards-conwic

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hi Addicted,
The Colt DS on page 390 is caliber 38 New Police which is different from the .38 Spl caliber of the US Army contract DS models... Don't believe there is a US on the back strap either... Bob Best

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Get Pate's book. It will show and tell all about World War Two "secondary handguns"(this means all but the 1911). D.S. is well covered,including the rehabs and re issues of them after the war.

Bud

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This book was often being referenced so I purchased it last weekend. I don't understand what you mean by "secondary" handguns.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hi Addicted,
The military issued front line troops (ie Combat Units) with "primary" issue small arms. This was the Colt (and other makers) Model 1911 A1 pistol. Secondary weapons went to non-combat units such as support troops, plant guards, etc. Also the US Navy was designated to use a lot of secondary handguns, because they were not in direct combat with enemy ground forces.Charlie Pate's book discusses these secondary weapons. Normally, a lot of older Army weapons are passed to the State Militia and National Guard units and this is also covered in his book... These weapons are considered secondary weapons. An example, National guard troops had M-1 Garand rifles during the Viet Nam war while the regular army had the M-16 rifle... Bob Best

·
Registered
39 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Addicted,
The military issued front line troops (ie Combat Units) with "primary" issue small arms. This was the Colt (and other makers) Model 1911 A1 pistol. Secondary weapons went to non-combat units such as support troops, plant guards, etc. Also the US Navy was designated to use a lot of secondary handguns, because they were not in direct combat with enemy ground forces.Charlie Pate's book discusses these secondary weapons. Normally, a lot of older Army weapons are passed to the State Militia and National Guard units and this is also covered in his book... These weapons are considered secondary weapons. An example, National guard troops had M-1 Garand rifles during the Viet Nam war while the regular army had the M-16 rifle... Bob Best

[/ QUOTE ]

Why'd they give the better rifle to the National Guard? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Capt William

·
Registered
904 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Addicted,

[/ QUOTE ]

Why'd they give the better rifle to the National Guard? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Capt William

[/ QUOTE ]Cause the NG officers were "connected". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
103 Posts
Addicted,
Here are a some pics of a couple of WWII ordnance marked DS's (flaming bomb left side below rear sight). These were made in 41' and had the earlier style square butt. One is shown in blue (correct as issued) and one is parkerized (looks like an arsenal parkerization). I have seen a few crudely marked US on the backstrap which is reported in Pate's excellent book.

IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a390/folk_fan/DSCN0182.jpg[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can someone explain why a 1941 DS would have a first issue square butt.

Thank you ColtLarry, amazing guns and thank you for sharing.

·
Premium Member
9,467 Posts
As I recall, Pate discusses the square butt issue. Apparently the military ordered them that way, and Colt built them that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts