Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at both of these for CCW. I know the Cobra is lighter than the DS. What is the difference in the recoil? I understand that is completely subjective, but never firing a Cobra I have no idea. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
70 Posts
For my hand size, a Cobra is quite acceptable with a Tyler T-grip grip adapter.

P. S. A DS is downright enjoyable under the same conditions.

[This message has been edited by Recono (edited 01-08-2004).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If you have ever fired the Smith J-frames, consider it as the difference in the airweight vs the steel frames.
Not overly harsh, but will get your attention.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Mark G, Greetings and Welcome!
I used to use a Cobra for off-duty carry and later, a Smith #36. Thought very highly of both guns - shot better with the Colt, though. (Surprised?) But what I wanted to suggest to you was to look at a 4" Police Positive Special ... I used one of those for a short time and always wondered where this little beauty had been all my life!? I think a Diamondback would be even better but I've never had one. I think, if you can conceal a Cobra or DS, you can conceal a PPS or DB with not too much trouble. I'm just always a little afraid when people start wanting 2" snubbies that they won't like what they find when they shoot them. They are LOUD, snap at you about double what an Official Police or S&W #10 does and while they CAN shoot nice groups - they won't often appear for you without lots and lots of practice. I haven't gone hunting for a PPS but I don't think they're exactly scarce and I would think, sell for a good but less than a DS. (Long on barrel - short on glamour!) The PPS will take any of the grips from the DS's and Diamondbacks, too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys, let me throw this into the mix. I have several Ruger Speed Sixes with a 2 3/4 inch barrel that I enjoy shooting a great deal, but to use as a CCW they are fairly heavy (35 ounces). I have read about guys who buy the air lites and hate to shoot them and I don't want to be in that boat. So I was looking for a revolver that was lighter and still fun to shoot and you never seem to read anything bad about the DS or Cobra. I realize with all short barrels practice would be involved, that is why I want to make sure it is fun to shoot. S&W model 10 weighs about the same as my Rugers. Maybe I just suck up the extra weight of the Rugers and use them. You have given me info about which to think. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
What they said; and shooting full 158GR 38SPLs in a Cobra approaches the feel of a S&W 640 with stardard .357's. IMHO

------------------
Dick

IN GOD WE TRUST,
BUT KEEP YOUR
SIDEARM HANDY!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts