Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have this Colt pre-War square butt Detective Special in .38 Special and would like some input on assessing the value. Bore and chambers pretty good with some minor rust blemishes. Outside also pretty good, with a few pits and blemishes, but overall a nice original Colt IMO.
Seriial number: 406175
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Ken, the gun dates to 1932. It's a commercial square butt DS from the last two years of standard production square butt DSs.
Given the amount of pitting and rust on the exterior surfaces, and being a commercial DS, this would be about a $550 gun to me. If I spent $600 on it I would feel I could have done better, or found another one for maybe $100 more in better condition. These are just my personal thresholds for this gun, not necessarily what other members would pay.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Ken, the gun dates to 1932. It's a commercial square butt DS from the last two years of standard production square butt DSs.
Given the amount of pitting and rust on the exterior surfaces, and being a commercial DS, this would be about a $550 gun to me. If I spent $600 on it I would feel I could have done better, or found another one for maybe $100 more in better condition. These are just my personal thresholds for this gun, not necessarily what other members would pay.
I agree however; in this part of the world probably $450 tops in that condition, a military gun would fetch about $100 more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.