Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The author states in this article that I ran across from Guns and Ammo that the 4th Issue Detective Specials were built with an alloy frame.

Is that true? I thought that only the Cobra had an alloy frame. I have a 4th Issue that I use as a carry gun that I've always assumed had a steel frame.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/classics/ct0507/

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Well, I'd say he was dead wrong in general, but who's to say Colt didn't use a few alloy frames and stick a DS barrel on. That was not the norm nor the cataloged configuration of the "fourth" issue, and they certainly are not all that way , if even one. He also says they went back to plastic grips with the "fourth" issue which is also inaccurate. Oh well, I wonder how much he was paid for the "in depth" article? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
OK, he says plastic/composition and I guess the "rubber" is composition. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I stopped buying these gun rags over a decade ago!

They are certainly NOT the place to learn 'bout vintage guns,especially revolvers.

Even worse,the same "misinformation" becomes accepted.especially by younger readers.

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
31 Posts
We have a sweet 4th issue that is real blued steel, and wears cherrywood grips. It is a keeper. I'd like one of the earlier issues with an alloy frame.....

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ok so the article was crap but just look at the gandeur of the pictures! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dave

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
The business about 4th gen DS's having an alloy frame was started in a back issue of The Blue Book of Gun Values.

It was simply a screw-up misstatement that was removed in later issues, but it's been repeated other places to the point that it's become common "knowledge" that there are late Model Detective Specials with aluminum frames.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Yes, but be aware that the cylinder, crane and lockwork parts are steel. Or you could just pick it up and see if it's light. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Understand that no one is saying that alloy frames don't exist, just that if there is one with a DS barrel, it is highly unlikely to no chance that it came from the factory. If someone is screwing DS barrels into alloy frames in their garage on the other hand, the chance of a messed up frame is highly likely to certain. Caveat emptor to the max. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
open the cylinder and look at the recoil plate, every aluminum frame gun i have seen has no finnish around the recoil plate, the plate is installed in the finnished frame and then staked in place, then the area is dressed flat removing the finnish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts