Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm new here. I found a nice condition Detective Special for $425 at a local gun shop that looked well taken care of and formerly belonged to another gun dealer. I don't know what issue it is. Online I heard of another gun shop near me that's selling the same gun, "3rd issue" for $299.00. I don't know what to do. Part of the problem is I don't know what these 2nd issue, 3rd issues mean -- and I've never had a Colt so how do I know which is the better quality gun? BTW, both are used of course. In my state, I can't get new Colt revolvers. Thank you.

Laura

[This message has been edited by Mastrogiacomo (edited 07-09-2004).]

·
Registered
794 Posts
Laura you really didn't supply enough info to provide you with much help.

1) Does the one you saw have a shroud under the barrel? Is it in like new condition?

2) Do you know for a fact the 2 guns are the same configuration?

3) Do you have serial numbers you can supply here for either gun for dating purposes & to help identify?

4) Are they both blued or both nickel?

5) Are they both original configuration?

I wouldn't just trust someone telling me it s 2nd issue or a 3rd issue or a 4th issue. Even a dealer! Many folks just don't know the difference when it come to the D-frame guns. The best way to determine what issue is from the serial number.

Condition will play a big factor in price as will geography. If indeed it is a 3rd issue (or even a 4th issue) with the barrel shroud, and it is like new with all the paperwork & original box, then the price ($425) is probably inline for your area. The one for $299 (the one you haven't even seen) may be all beat up & be only worth that asking price.

Now some people may tell you the $425 is high, but that is for their geography. Certainly you can find LNIB (like New In Box) for $350. But probably NOT in your area. So supply a few answers to the questions above & you will get more informed opinions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question -- I can't vouch for the one priced at $299 as I haven't seen it but I know it's blue according to the shop website. The one I did see for $425 looks in very good condition. It is a blued gun, the hammer is like nickel but the body is still blue, I thought it looked quite good and very well cared for so maybe I should ask more questions about it. As for the other gun, I should look at it to see why it costs less.

In my area, you're right, we can't get new so I've got to go by which I think is the better quality gun. Since it's not permitted in this state -- no online buying either. I just wish I knew what it means by second or third issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it does look like this one. I'll be checking out the other store tomorrow but the higher priced gun certainly had a like new appearance. How you rate this gun if it looks like the pic in the link?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, it does look like this one. I'll be checking out the other store tomorrow but the higher priced gun certainly had a like new appearance. How you rate this gun if it looks like the pic in the link?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts