Colt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdy i just recently accuired a .32 colt ds in o.k. shape cept for it doesn't lockup...and sometimes on one cylinder it freezes up??? new to colts and am hoping to revive this classic belly gun for my growing collection?? any suggestions...would be greatly appreciated..thank you also it has no ejector shroud...and does not seem to have "bent crane" complex...more like the cylinder stop is malfuntioning or this timing thing that i am reading about....forgive me for my numbskulledness....but i am a auto man until recently...

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know little about the inerts of Colts, especially the older ones. I can tell you though, it takes a lot of "hand fitting" by an experienced gun smith.
Unlike Smith and Wesson, the older Colts have a some what delicate but really excellent lock work. There was a lot of hand fitting involved.
D Farris is really about the most knowledgeable guy here on those things.
I suggest you send it in to get fixed. Good luck.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Welcome to the board and Colt revolvers. Not pretending to be an expert, but there are a few things you can check and do for yourself. There are a couple of posts in this category or the Gunsmithing one on checking timing which you can do "externally" to gain some insight into what the problem may be. One of the common things that can cause malfunction and "lockup", for example, is a worn or loose rebound lever pin. This can be observed by only removing the stocks. Let me get some more coffee in me and I will look for a couple of posts and perhaps make a couple more suggestions with a little more detail as may others. Indeed Dfariswheel is probably the most knowledgable Colt gunsmith on the forum, but unfortunately he has been noticeably absent of late. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Here's one for starters: http://www.coltforum.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=15236&an=0&page=0#15236
And it would just be worth checking the rebound lever pin. The lever is the pivoted "bar" shown here in earlier and later grip frames. The example on the right is missing the mainspring. Some stocks allow the pin to slide out, causing the lever to tilt and/or bind.

BTW - if you are a "tinkerer" and are going to insist on doing it to D, E and I frame Colt revolvers, you should have one of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=369326

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you folks so much for your suggestions i had hoped to pick up one that i could get real accuainted with and it looks like i have stumbled upon the right one ...i will read over the suggested information.again thank you there may be hope for the old girl after all.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
I did the same thing. Don't forget a good flushing with GunScrubber or the like and inspect the ratchet for any obvious deformities. Have fun. Ask more questions. Somebody will answer. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,913 Posts
My God, you STOLE my picture.... Which I so carefully stole from someone else.

Fairs fair, I stole it first, It's MINE. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's the updated version....feel free to use it.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
I stole your posts, too. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif But, remember what they say about plagiarism. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Actually, I didn't "steal" it, I just referred to your photobucket album so it is the latest. Sort of like identity theft. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I try not to proliferate existing data and not to take credit for knowledge gained from existing posts. Plus I need to keep checking my memory. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Glad you paid your bill and got hooked back up.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Sorry Doc D.wheel,

But the first viewer on this forum who hasn't "stolen" one of your pics, topics or posts hasn't found this forum (yet)! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I for one am pleeing guilty as charged! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have made the single action...work which i assume is better.....but double action still no lock up i am sure though that as a result of yer help i have discovered me detective is havin a timin problem for sure...and ...a damn touchy thing tooo....i must have one of the first series cause the parts seem inferior to the used bundle of useless i bought the other day....theres gonna be metal flakes flyin tonight or a damnable colt d/s one or the other....also i might add another question...is it (the d/s)even worth fixin' or should i try with a fresher subject and retire the old one????to the safe....thanks again...(back to the basement) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifand me pretty resembles the one on the left...short grip frame....made about 68 or 69....

·
Premium Member
9,479 Posts
Take off the side plate and work the action to see what is happening. The action is not that complicated and you should be able to see if something is wrong.

The common "timing" problem with the Colt action is that the cylinder will not rotate quite far enough to lock up when slow cocking it. The cause is a worn hand that can be easily replaced. Pulling the trigger always forces the cylinder into lockup so it really is not that big of an issue. If the cylinder stop is not always engaging, then that indicates to me that something is causing the cylinder stop to hang up, perhaps dried grease or debris or damaged parts, etc..

If you want to give up on it, send it to me and I will see what I can do with it. I am sure it can be easily fixed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i think i have it working when you use single action but the double action ..it seems as if the hammer goes back too far and disengages the cylinder stop latch ...
..ummm if you hold the trigger back the latch is recessed...but it seems to function flawlessly in single action...thank you mr judge that is an offer i might consider, instead of chucking it in lake lure..had considered cylinder and slide...but was leanin more towards the pennsylvania handgun joint ...they sound like nice folks..and cylinder and slide requires a long wait...colt would probably just send a hitman after me for attempting to work on their magnificent(non-cnc)machined beauty...lol thanks again! also the action seems to work fine until a cylinder is added to the equation...but my crane and all other such cylinder-type issues seem to be in order....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gonna shoot stoopid d\s with my .357 dammit!! grrrrr!!what load would be appropriate? i normally use a win silvertip... /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well she has been in the hands of a mr.jim dunbar who i hope is as good of a gunsmith as evrybdy says(fingers crossed) he ordered new parts for her which i cant say made me happy but i guess as long as she functions i cant complain.should be back home and i will get some pics of her posted...thank you for your gracious offer of assistance judge.hopefully this gentleman knows as much about colts as you folks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts